Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,007 Posts
Sounds like alternate fingering, going back and forth very quickly between the normal fingering and alternate fingering that has a slightly different timbre.

Try doing this on an A on the sax. Normal fingering: XXO/OOO, alternate fingering: XXO/XXX

No go back and forth quickly, by adding & lifting those 3 right hand keys. Works in either register (with or without the octave key).

This is actually a very well-known and commonly used technique. You can vary it in various ways (sorry for the redundancy).

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
415 Posts
Your right JL. That's what I meant actually. I call them stuffy notes, not sure how else to describe them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Sounds like alternate fingering, going back and forth very quickly between the normal fingering and alternate fingering that has a slightly different timbre.

Try doing this on an A on the sax. Normal fingering: XXO/OOO, alternate fingering: XXO/XXX

No go back and forth quickly, by adding & lifting those 3 right hand keys. Works in either register (with or without the octave key).

This is actually a very well-known and commonly used technique. You can vary it in various ways (sorry for the redundancy).
You're right. The peculiar thing he's doing I haven't heard before but I want to study it using a slow-down app. I have made a little specialty out of the effects, and I do a few things I haven't heard anywhere else. Sometimes you hear players do things in combination that are usually done singly, and my first impression of this trick is a combination effect. King Curtis did some combo effects - an easy and effective one is the false fingering 'back and forth' with growling. How about a flutter tongue with trill? Trill on altissimo - not usually heard - one I do is A3 with the palm D trilling. This results in an A to A# trill in the same octave. There's no end to it - your imagination is the only limit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
BTW, Leo P is dynamite on baritone - he is burning the joint down in that video!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,007 Posts
Sometimes you hear players do things in combination that are usually done singly, and my first impression of this trick is a combination effect.

There's no end to it - your imagination is the only limit.
Yes, so true. He seems to be adding some growl to it. And also, that alternation between regular & alternate fingering can be combined with another note, which increases the effect. For example, throw in a C or C# in addition to the alternate & regular A fingering...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,895 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts