Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this Selmer Tenor Saxophone that looks like a Super Action, but the B and Bb Pads are on the left side of the horn rather than the right side.
(I don't know the terminology for that part)
It reminded me of the older horns like an Aristocrat Buescher Tenor Sax.
I couldn't see the serial numbers because of the rust.
It was missing a neck, too.
When did Selmer switch the Bb and B pads to the Right side.
My guess is a model before the Mark VI, but it's not the Cigar Cutter because of the "flowers engraving" on the right side of the Bell.
Edit: There might be a possibility of it being a Selmer USA horn

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually never mind about the Cigar Cutter, it actually might be one.
If my memory serves me right, I saw an engraving similar to this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,133 Posts
The Cigar Cutter was actually in the SSS series. It could be a model 26 or 22. What is the serial number?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Cigar Cutter was actually in the SSS series. It could be a model 26 or 22. What is the serial number?
I couldn't see it, it was too rusty.
I'll have to take a picture of it again.
Lets just say that it's in the SSS series, good condition, no neck, how much would it cost? Like in a Range of this many dollars to this many dollars.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Good condition, yet so corroded you can't read the serial no? No neck? Sounds risky and the neck and fix-up may cost more than the horn is worth. Post some pictures if you want a reasonable answer.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just confirmed that its a SSS tenor sax.
I'm not sure which, but it had a design to something like this,

Actually, now that I had more light, it doesn't look too bad, just really dusty.
The numbers for it are 312xxx.
I didn't find a neck, but I think its somewhere around it.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The serial number you have posted isn't right for an 'SSS'...did you possibly transpose the first two digits ? 13XXX would make sense...31XXX does not...would probably be a Balanced Action.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was pretty sure I read a 6 digit number that wasn't lined up horizontally, but vertically.
All the pictures I've posted here is how the horn somewhat looked, especially the 2nd picture.
I found this horn in my band hall's attic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
Has this wreck been on ebay lately? Seems I recall a pic like this, and what I noticed then was that the body tube appeared to be bent; just like this one.

Any rate, looks like a later SSS to me, judging by the octave key linkage. Earliest linkages were the old, primitive design, carried over from the Model 26/28 and Large Bore. Next up was(briefly) the cigar cutter linkage(later serials than on alto cigar cutters and a much shorter run), and then, something kinda of like in your photo.

If I had to guess, I'd say 18,xxx right before the Radio Improved. Could be a Radio Improved, but I'm guessing not.

Whatever it is, you're not gonna get rich offa peddling it. Marketing name for this kinda POS is "Player's Horn"...

Serial can't be THAT faded; trace over it with pencil and paper, clean it up, do sumpin' to get a read on it and report back, El Pronto! We GOTS TO KNOWED!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say 18,xxx right before the Radio Improved. Could be a Radio Improved, but I'm guessing not.

Serial can't be THAT faded; trace over it with pencil and paper, clean it up, do sumpin' to get a read on it and report back, El Pronto! We GOTS TO KNOWED!!!
it could be a Radio improved. i've got one 18xxx with cigar cutter octave mechanism- this one is a later SSS model or a radio improved. but messing up the serial number that badly could be criminal...i thought Selmer USA- Buescher didn't start until early 40s (Selmer british agent from '29 to '60, but then it says these 2 words under the serial number)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be exact, I couldn't read it at that time due to the lack of light, but I was able to read 312944 where the serial number is supposed to be.
I haven't posted the actual pictures here yet.

·
Registered
496 Posts
To be exact, I couldn't read it at that time due to the lack of light, but I was able to read 312944 where the serial number is supposed to be.
I haven't posted the actual pictures here yet.
129xx would fit the super series- look at Tharruf's comment- could the first digit 3 be addet later? is it "off" the centre of the engraving?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,962 Posts
it should be a SS Jimmy Dorsey model

from Saxpics

"..........Jimmy Dorsey Model

These horns, an alto and tenor, were released toward the middle of the Balanced Action run. This is Selmer's rarest model, with possibly only 200 horns produced.
"I've seen two Jimmy Dorsey model Selmer altos. They have sheet metal keyguards, like the Balanced Action, but the bell keys are on the left side, like the Cigar Cutter. The bell keyguard is a bit odd, because it has a keyguard just like the Mark VI grafted to the wire 'wishbone' of the earlier Supers (Cigar Cutters). My own personal opinion is that Selmer had some Super bells left after starting Balanced Action production, so they used them. The Jimmy Dorsey horns, however, play great and Jimmy did use one."1

Note that the keywork on the Dorsey alto is the same as found on the "Super", not the Radio Improved (e.g. the G# cluster)....... .

from Saxophone.org

"........The next model was a limited success and saw very few horns in production. This was the Dorsey Model, named after Selmer afficianado, Jimmy Dorsey. These horns were produced between the 26,000 and 27,500 serial range. Selmer took a "retro" approach to this horn. It was essentially a Balanced Action body with Super model keys. They were elaborately engraved and had the Jimmy Dorsey name (on some).
............"

·
Registered
394 Posts
it could be a Radio improved. i've got one 18xxx with cigar cutter octave mechanism- this one is a later SSS model or a radio improved. but messing up the serial number that badly could be criminal...i thought Selmer USA- Buescher didn't start until early 40s (Selmer british agent from '29 to '60, but then it says these 2 words under the serial number)
Is the 'British Agent' - with an 18xxx serial# - would that be a radio improved by another name? I get confused by these horns.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts