1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I don't recognize anything about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Looks really rough, particularly towards the tip rail. As long as it play well, right?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does play pretty well, in spite of the look of it--its mine now anyhow, so I better like it...

The rubber really sings, I may send it to someone at some point to clean up the tip rail though--its pretty much non existant right now...

The pics make the area near the tip look a bit worse than it actually is also, interesting quality to the sound; but it is very centered...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Phil Barone said:
Looks ruined to me....
Ain't ruined if it "plays great", wot? :D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can you ruin a crappy mouthpiece like a berg to begin with, Phil?

Just kidding. I looked at the piece some more today, it doesn't look pretty, thats for sure, but I used it on a gig tonight and it worked well. The thing gets a good seal, seems pretty good with reeds, and has a presence I miss with my other alto piece, but I attribute that to the rubber. I am as surprised as anyone else that is plays...

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
A while back, I introduced this Yamaha 4C to a drill press. It plays far better than it looks.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That mouthpiece was refaced by garbage disposal or a 3 year old with mommies nail file. Either way it beats having to play something pretty and new. I mean cmon anyone can do that. To be a real player you can't play on anything that reflects light or is smooth.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have played pieces that looked pristine and felt as dead as a doornail, which this does not, so....

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
My guess would be Mike Blanchard but I would expect a higher level of workmanship. He used to work out of The Sax Shop and trained with Frank Wells. Did Paul have any ideas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts