Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...is there a Cb key on the saxophone???

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
That's right. There is one key for D#/Eb, one for B/Cb. Even though we can play in just intonation sometimes, by manipulation of embouchure, the saxophone is designed to be an equal temperament instrument.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
thats funny...I have to press down 6 keys on my sax to get a D#...??? what model do you play?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
thats funny...I have to press down 6 keys on my sax to get a D#...??? what model do you play?
I press down seven keys for Eb/D#, with just six I get D.

My main horns are Conn 10M tenor, Grafton/Buescher TH&C alto, BW sop and baritone.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..yep I just figured that out!! i need 8 to get the higher octave!!!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
That's right. There is one key for D#/Eb, one for B/Cb. Even though we can play in just intonation sometimes, by manipulation of embouchure, the saxophone is designed to be an equal temperament instrument.
Wait till you find a Ax (double sharp). Nothing on the handy dandy fingering chart for that one either. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Wait till you find a Ax (double sharp). Nothing on the handy dandy fingering chart for that one either. :)
Find one of those at 180 in the middle of a nice run of 16 notes and you'll experience a brian fart of epic proportion.
More than once my brain has shouted ***! :)

·
19,205 Posts
Who is Brian, and why are his farts so epic?
(sorry...couldn't resist) :bluewink:
OOPS! It's been a loooong day.
Brian is my drunken Irish Brother-in-Law. He lives on wild game, beer, and cheap Irish whiskey.
His farts have been known to make his wife and daughters actually LEAVE the house in search of fresh air.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,963 Posts
But it's not the unknown note.....:sad:

darnit...I thought this thread was about an exciting discovery of some sorta missing link note....

a heretofore undiscovered pitch....it lives between B and C and had remained evasive for eons.....

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
OOPS! It's been a loooong day.
Brian is my drunken Irish Brother-in-Law. He lives on wild game, beer, and cheap Irish whiskey.
His farts have been known to make his wife and daughters actually LEAVE the house in search of fresh air.
Brian and I have much in common..... That was unknown.

·
19,205 Posts
But it's not the unknown note.....:sad:

darnit...I thought this thread was about an exciting discovery of some sorta missing link note....

a heretofore undiscovered pitch....it lives between B and C and had remained evasive for eons.....

Spend enough time in the band room with 'first week-ers' and you will hear 'missing link' notes, and 'heretofore undiscovered' pitches.
Some will cause the hair on the back of your neck to stand on end and make your teeth itch.... *shiver*

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Spend enough time in the band room with 'first week-ers' and you will hear 'missing link' notes, and 'heretofore undiscovered' pitches.
Some will cause the hair on the back of your neck to stand on end and make your teeth itch.... *shiver*
Been there and done that. My 6th grade beginners were the first ever to create the traumatic scale and the demented chord.

Seriously, on the first day beginners were taught that Mr. T had only one rule in band. That was:

they were not allowed to sound like beginners.

They all though I was kidding. I wasn't. We started with tone production before anything else using the formula:

Good Embouchure + Good Air Stream + Good Equipment = Good Tone

Then I would teach #1 and #2 and make sure they had #3. What is amazing is that when the tone quality improved the intonation problems went away as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Look sharp, feel sharp, 'be' sharp, 'Burma Shave'... Route 66 highway signs in the 50's said so!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts