Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and I am very glad to have joined. Anyways, I VERY recently purchased a Noblet Paris tenor sax from the good people at Saxquest. I plan on doing the work myself to get it into top shape (pray for me). Anyways, it's a very pretty horn, but in spite of all the research I have done I can't seem to find a model name or number for it. I have gone to Doctor Sax to find info, and while very helpful I haven't been able to pinpoint it. I have also been to SaxPics, Bassic-Sax, and other places as well. To me it looks nearly identical to the fabled "Face Model" saxes that Beaugnier built and stenciled under a few different names. However, there are a few key differences that I can spot.

1. The bell to body braces on mine is plain metal, while the "Face Model" has a, well, face.
2. The left hand pinky table is different, with mine having an extra extension above the B for Bb, while the "Face Model" is nearly identical to Selmer-style pinky tables.
3. The bells keys themselves look to operate in a different manner. The "Face Model" saxes appear to operate via solid rods like a modern sax, while mine looks to have linkages similar to a Buffet Super Dynaction.
4. Also, the keyguards are slightly different in design.

There might be more differences, but that was literally all I could find. Every other Noblet model that I have come across (including one of my other tenors) has some kind of designation, either from the maker or their owners. For example, "Standard", "Serie Maville", or "Face Model". I cannot for the life of me find any sort of designation for this one. I have included a link to the pictures of the one a purchased. Also, Matt Stohrer overhauled and sold one a few years ago that is IDENTICAL to the one that I purchased, so I have included a link to that page as well. Any help and input will be greatly appreciated!

https://www.saxquest.com/product/vi...quer-noblet-paris-tenor-sax-serial-8744-P9586

http://www.stohrermusic.com/2012/06/late-1950s-noblet-beaugnier-tenor-saxophone-handmade-in-france/

·
Registered
24 Posts
That Noblet is most likely made by Beaugnier. They made a lot of stencil horns under various names such as Antoine Courtois and Vito.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,172 Posts
That Noblet is most likely made by Beaugnier. They made a lot of stencil horns under various names such as Antoine Courtois and Vito.
I was thinking the same thing. An indication is how close the right side bell tone holes appear to one another. This was the case with my Beaugnier bari and it looked a little odd, less so on your tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Yeah it's Beaugnier-made. That model is a nice Alto, it has the 'egg-shaped' pinky table which although not technically 'modern', is a nice pinky table.

Not a terrible asking price considering the condition it appears to be in. However, plan on putting at least $150 into it if you buy her, because seller makes no proclamations as to its playing condition...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts