Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uwe Steinmetz
Hey everyone - does anyone have ever seen a Buffet Saxophone like this - or who stenciled this?

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa423/CrescendoJazz/BUFFET PARIS SAXOPHONE/

Use the zoom function to see more details.

The Saxophone has the serial number 2750, an Eb-Trill key, a High Eb-Trill key, an additional G# trill key, a well working Micro Tuner, rolled tone holes, mother of pearl inlays, an octave key shaped like a cigar cutter (similar to the Selmer model). The only engraving I see is BUFFET PARIS and the serial number. This is possibly a model made during the second world war FOR Buffet??? It plays very well with great intonation and a dark focused sound. As i have played nearly all Buffet models including Buffet Powell and the Apogee I am really at loss here...

Thanks for any suggestions and have a great day, Uwe.-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,563 Posts
I agree it was made for Buffet by another company, but which one?

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "resonance" of the horn somehow reminds me of a DOLNET ROYAL JAZZ alto I palyed for a while, but this sax is much better build quality wise and more "together" than the Dolnets I have played...but there is something in the key lay-out of the Royal jazz Alto which is similar too...
http://saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=1331

·
Registered
3 Posts
Evette Schaeffer was made by Buffet. Two men bought the Buffet company and started making the saxophones in the late 1800's. If you can read your serial number on the lower half of the sax that faces you it will be easy for me to look it up and let you know when it was made.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,668 Posts
...........on the other hand Buffet has a very long history of buying stencilled saxophone from all sort of sources. There are certain things which remind me of a Holton and certain others definitely Bohemian (Kohlert?).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts