Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow sax-players

A couple of days ago I came across a Hohner Alto saxophone up for sale. I've once tried a Hohner President (tenor however) and did like it.
However, this alto doesn't appear to be a President and only carries a logo from Hohner showing the guy with the accordion in front of a globe.
I've been doing a lot of searching on here as well as any other place on the internet I could find and while there's plenty of information and opinions on Hohner Presidents, I can't seem to find opinions or even similar Hohner saxophones anywhere.
The serial numbers also contains too many digits for me to place it anywhere in relation to information I've found, which makes me believe that's it's probably a model newer than the Presidents?

The seller doesn't really know anything about the saxophone or saxophones in general, so there's no help to get from there.
I've attached a couple of pictures, showing the saxophone as well as the engraving.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ang_l1SxpJIfgpYQOPlLLhlsUObXkQ

Does anybody know anything about this Hohner saxophone?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Your saxophone is very likely an Armstrong made saxophone.

These saxophones shared some characteristics also used by Keilwerth but also some differences. They are very decent saxophones but not very popular ( so they tend not to be very expensive)

The tear drop shaped alternative F# reveal much about this horn. (yours has also an High F#)

See this pictures of ad Armstrong alto on ebay

compare

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're absolutely right - it does look like it's the same model. It's probably not a hidden gem then. :) I haven't tried the saxophone yet, but if it's in decent condition and plays alright, I might get it as a backup horn. But it probably isn't worth it to invest alot of money in it.

Thank you for the input!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
they don’t go for a lot of money

1 - 4 of 4 Posts