Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a researcher at Aalborg University and I am doing a study on "How technology can affect learning the saxophone". We are currently working on our theme analysis and we could really use the help of people in this community.

We're currently in the early phases so at the moment we have a survey which will help us establish a coherent theme. We already have a few proposed projects, but without the research we won't know what is actually needed by the community itself. And since we come in as complete beginners, we look at everyone from students who started 1 week ago, to people with decades of experience for help. The following link is the survey:

Kind regards, Ted.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,830 Posts
So none of you are sax players and you’re evaluating the impact of technology on learning the instrument? You should consider recruiting an actual player of some merit to your team to lend credence to your research.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@mrpeebee thanks a lot, @swperry1 thanks for the feedback, that is a very good point and, as the project begins to take shape, we hope to incorporate more people. This is one of the reasons why the survey asks for contact information for follow ups, which can be more surveys, interviews, observations, participatory design workshops, etcetera.

*Edit: Thought I should mention, the request for contact info is completely optional and the info will only be used by us in this research. We also refer to people by assigned codes unless differently agreed upon, which usually happens with people we've had further contact with such as interviews.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
IF - you've never played a woodwind and you know nothing about music you need to juggle familiarising yourself with the instrument / learning to read music / learning to associate the sheet music with particular keys of the instrument / developing your embouchure / learning to control your breathing and delivery of ones breath into the instrument - all at once. There are short cuts and stuff can be broken down into pieces such as working on your embouchure while in the car of when out strolling. Learning to finger the instrument's keys while cuddled up on the couch etc. It really is a 'you gotta' walk before you can run' scenario and the fastest path is exposure to an intelligent and experienced teacher.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wy do you focus your questionaire so hard on on-line tuition?
technology is so much more than that.
I use some apps on my smartphone (tuner, metronome, music player that slows down the music) and the old guitar amp from my wife to amplify the playalong tracks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@lesacks cheers, thanks a lot.

@Wonko we're going through different themes as we evolve the surveys from feedback, so any information is welcome. Since this version was aimed at trying to ask people of different levels, from complete beginners to professionals (not saying we succeeded) some of the questions, like the platforms used, which would be more useful to beginners who need to be directly getting information, from what we assumed would be online platforms. I assume you're not a beginner from what you're saying, if you were, would you not use online tuition? I am asking because this could be very helpful for our next survey.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. (y)

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5JHR
150 Posts
Submitted a survey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot everyone, we're actually 10 people shy of 100, which was our ideal target for this survey.

·
Registered
130 Posts
@lesacks cheers, thanks a lot.

@Wonko we're going through different themes as we evolve the surveys from feedback, so any information is welcome. Since this version was aimed at trying to ask people of different levels, from complete beginners to professionals (not saying we succeeded) some of the questions, like the platforms used, which would be more useful to beginners who need to be directly getting information, from what we assumed would be online platforms. I assume you're not a beginner from what you're saying, if you were, would you not use online tuition? I am asking because this could be very helpful for our next survey.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. (y)
If I would start now, I don't think I would go for on-line tuition. I would postpone starting untill I could get real tuition again.
I'm a firm believer in real tuition. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Wonko fair enough, we've already had surveys targeting real life tuition between a teacher and a student, this one was more towards people using online platforms and personal practice, I was under the impression you didn't believe in any sort of tuition.

I also wanted to thank everyone, from all of the communities we've contacted we now have over 100 answers, which fulfills our need to begin our final theme analysis iteration and see where we go from there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts