Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a small home recording room, so I can get into recording. I have an iMac and I'm looking for an interface (and mic as well) that will provide excellent results.

I've read great things about the Universal Audio Apollo Twin, so I was considering picking one up. The price is steep, but I can do it if it makes a difference. I've looked at others like the Focusrote Scarlett that gets good reviews on Amazon.

On the other hand, it seems that for sax, most here would just recommend putting a little reverb on it and call it good - nothing fancy. So, I'm wondering if, for such a simple task, if the Apollo is overkill. I'd love to mess around with effects for fun, but at the end of the day, I'll probably just use reverb. Is there anything special that sets apart the UA reverb vs Focusrote or any other interface?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
UA makes great gear. I have a focusrite Saphire, and it works great. A big advantage to the UA is the awesome collection of plugins. Also, I believe the UA uses the much faster Thunderbolt rather than the USB 2 that the scarlett uses.

User Woody Reed, who is quite knowledgeable, could tell you more about the UA.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,381 Posts
The Scarlett does a decent job, but I am looking too into a UAD for more professional stuff.

the UA uses the much faster Thunderbolt rather than the USB 2 that the scarlett uses.
This stopped me, since I am using an obsolete computer for making music that does not have the Thunderbolt.
If I had to upgrade my computer, there could be issues with the firewire gear that I own, unless I spend a lot.

I have the Thunderbolt on my laptop though, but it would mean re-thinking my rig.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should start with a good Microphone first. Studio Projects make a good mic (the c1), Sennheiser 421, AKG C214, AKG C414. That should be your first investment. Second, should be a good preamp/audio interface. USB/Thunderbolt doesn't really matter.

I'm putting together a small home recording room, so I can get into recording. I have an iMac and I'm looking for an interface (and mic as well) that will provide excellent results.

I've read great things about the Universal Audio Apollo Twin, so I was considering picking one up. The price is steep, but I can do it if it makes a difference. I've looked at others like the Focusrote Scarlett that gets good reviews on Amazon.

On the other hand, it seems that for sax, most here would just recommend putting a little reverb on it and call it good - nothing fancy. So, I'm wondering if, for such a simple task, if the Apollo is overkill. I'd love to mess around with effects for fun, but at the end of the day, I'll probably just use reverb. Is there anything special that sets apart the UA reverb vs Focusrote or any other interface?

·
2,381 Posts
USB/Thunderbolt doesn't really matter.
It does if you are not buying a computer as well.
Firewire interfaces have reported problems with thunderbolt adapters, and the new ibook does not even have usb.
Audio has more compatibility issues than, say, printers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Scarlett does a decent job, but I am looking too into a UAD for more professional stuff.

This stopped me, since I am using an obsolete computer for making music that does not have the Thunderbolt.
If I had to upgrade my computer, there could be issues with the firewire gear that I own, unless I spend a lot.

I have the Thunderbolt on my laptop though, but it would mean re-thinking my rig.
I think the Apollo comes in a USB version as well, but then I guess the speed is impacted.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should start with a good Microphone first. Studio Projects make a good mic (the c1), Sennheiser 421, AKG C214, AKG C414. That should be your first investment. Second, should be a good preamp/audio interface. USB/Thunderbolt doesn't really matter.
I will buy a mic at the same time. I was considering the AKG 414, but I like the price of the 214. Glad you listed that one too. The reviews for it are good on Amazon.

·
2,381 Posts
Hakukani can be more precise, but I am not sure that speed is so essential if you have to record a couple of tracks at a time, even at 24/192
But it would be great if you could post a link to the usb: I never came across it.
I think the Apollo comes in a USB version as well, but then I guess the speed is impacted.

·
2,381 Posts
I will buy a mic at the same time. I was considering the AKG 414, but I like the price of the 214. Glad you listed that one too. The reviews for it are good on Amazon.

For saxophone this is my favourite on a budget:
http://www.nohypeaudio.com/nhaproducts.htm
there are some threads here and on the web about it.
But I also have other microphones to use for other applications, in particular a Sennheiser 441. I never got along with the AKG 414, but it might be me.

If I had to choose a "all rounder" for home I would probably go for a Sennheiser 421 or (ideally) EV RE20

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've been using the UA Apollo Twin for the last couple years. It's outstanding. The UA plugins are great and certainly professional level. That's the main thing that sold me on it, and it's lived up to my expectations. I recorded this take on my UA Apollo with a Neumann U87.
http://youtu.be/jD6eoLVXSDU

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hakukani can be more precise, but I am not sure that speed is so essential if you have to record a couple of tracks at a time, even at 24/192
But it would be great if you could post a link to the usb: I never came across it.
Here's the USB version. Says its out of stock on Amazon. Appears to be cheaper than the Thunderbolt version by a couple hundred bucks. Maybe the listing is out of date.

Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB High-Resolution USB Interface with Realtime UAD DUO Processing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011KFQA2U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_zvdIwbQJ5JH6Y

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been using the UA Apollo Twin for the last couple years. It's outstanding. The UA plugins are great and certainly professional level. That's the main thing that sold me on it, and it's lived up to my expectations. I recorded this take on my UA Apollo with a Neumann U87.
http://youtu.be/jD6eoLVXSDU
Brian, you have a really great a Bari sound.thats a great recording! I grew up playing Bari, but never owned one, so after high school I just played tenor. This makes me miss the Bari though.

Do you have advice on the plugin(s) you use to get this kind of quality recording? Obviously the professional sound is you and your flow of ideas. I won't sound anything near this good.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,644 Posts
I have both . the scarlett 1820 for when I record a band and the ua. both are great but the plug ins on the ua are really killer. I use mine with a 414 and I've been happy with this set up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Brian, you have a really great a Bari sound.thats a great recording! I grew up playing Bari, but never owned one, so after high school I just played tenor. This makes me miss the Bari though.

Do you have advice on the plugin(s) you use to get this kind of quality recording? Obviously the professional sound is you and your flow of ideas. I won't sound anything near this good.
Thank you very much for listening and your kind words.

I really like the EMT 140 reverb. I haven't used too many of the plugins because I tend to keep my sound close to organic. The 1176 Limiter is also fantastic.

·
2,381 Posts
I haven't used too many of the plugins because I tend to keep my sound close to organic. The 1176 Limiter is also fantastic.
Can I ask which uad plugins did you find more useful on woodwinds?

(I assume that 1176 is the actual "hardware" limiter)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have had the most success with the EMT 140, Helios 69 EQ, and 1176. I haven't tried all of them, but they do give you a generous 30 day trial on almost all the plugins.

·
2,381 Posts
I have had the most success with the EMT 140, Helios 69 EQ, and 1176. I haven't tried all of them, but they do give you a generous 30 day trial on almost all the plugins.
So you are talking of the 1176 plugin?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,140 Posts
I used to have all the UAD stuff and have no need anymore. If is far simpler to use Logic and stick to the native plugins plus a few other AUs such as PSP

Spend the money on decent converter/preamp, microphone and room acoustic treatment.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts