Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12-year-old S400 that I’m thinking of having play adjusted. Anyone know if it’s worth putting the 50-100 bucks into? I’ll probably sell it soon either way.

Sax is pretty much like new, just minor trouble starting out from low-B/Bb. Plays down to them easily.

I don’t want to flush funds for nothing, and I have other tenors that are perfect players. Is this model worth putting into the condition that a pro player would expect?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I'd think nearly any tenor is worth getting fixed if it's only $50-$100 worth of work needed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Worth it if you're keeping it to play, but you won't get your money back when you sell. There isn't a big market for that horn, so if you are planning on selling anyway, you might as well pass on that extra expense onto the buyer.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to y’all. They did call it a “professional” model. I’ve always thought of it as an intermediate or semi-pro tenor. It used to play exceptionally well considering it was, I think, one of their mid-priced horns. Very good intonation, tone, fit and finish.

But when I bought it I was already a rabid fan of most Taiwanese saxophones. I must have bought at least one of everything available at the time when I found them priced fairly and they were in gold or clear lacquer..

I could sell it as-is easily, and even demo it for a beginner who would think its playing perfectly (running chromatically down, not up). It plays better than most, even the way it is. But, you know, an experienced player has different needs and expectations. Anyway, thanks again.

*** Edited this post because I found one like mine in matte gold. And two offers? I expected maybe $950 on a good day. (Maybe the offers were for 50 bucks.)

https://reverb.com/item/4874641-unison-s400-gx-tenor-saxophone

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the work done and it probably wasn’t worth doing, at least not financially. Kendoro was right about that. But at least now it’s back to being a perfectly easy playing tenor.

If you’ve ever bought a sax described as “needing no work” and then not been able to hit low notes easily, you know what a disappointment that is.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now ready for sale. Was on the road for a month and then figured I should find a better case for it instead of the padded gigbag I stored the sax in.

Watch for it at Saxophones For Sale if you're looking for a perfect playing high-end Taiwan tenor under 1,000 bucks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd update this for the 3 members who like Unisons. Sax was sold locally a few months ago for $950 in a brand new $189 SKB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts