Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been a professional performer and teacher for years, I have constantly kept my eyes and ears open for excellent saxophones for myself and my students. For the last 7 or so years, I have put many of my students on the Unison 7002's because I feel that they are a solid saxophone for the price. I've not found another horn on the market that offers as solid construction and even playing for anywhere near the price.

I have recently revised that opinion though. The Series II model of Unison's S300 alto offers no doubt the best bang for the buck. I find it to be a free blowing horn, with great pitch and evenness of tone. Several of my students are playing on them now, and are thoroughly enjoying the experience. After trying dozens and dozens of the Unisons, I find that they are some of the most consistently well built saxophones out there. Many other brands seem to come from the factory with a great variance in response and pitch, but the Unisons do not. One after another, they are just a great saxophone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having been a professional performer and teacher for years, I have constantly kept my eyes and ears open for excellent saxophones for myself and my students. For the last 7 or so years, I have put many of my students on the Unison 7002's because I feel that they are a solid saxophone for the price. I've not found another horn on the market that offers as solid construction and even playing for anywhere near the price.

I have recently revised that opinion though. The Series II model of Unison's S300 alto offers no doubt the best bang for the buck. I find it to be a free blowing horn, with great pitch and evenness of tone. Several of my students are playing on them now, and are thoroughly enjoying the experience. After trying dozens and dozens of the Unisons, I find that they are some of the most consistently well built saxophones out there. Many other brands seem to come from the factory with a great variance in response and pitch, but the Unisons do not. One after another, they are just a great saxophone.
I can't agree more. They are excellent horns, and I am unceasingly amazed at the consistency from one horn to another.

On top of that, they are relatively inexpensive - not 'cheap', but just not as high-priced as the other new trendy horns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree completely. The S300II is the best horn I've played besides a Mark VI. Played the Yamaha Custom Z Alto until Unison sent me my horn. I fell in love instantly. I recorded a video of me playing the two horns (days before selling my Yamaha since I wouldn't need it anymore) and you can clearly hear the tonal difference. So much buzz and body to the Unison horn. I'll never go back! Feel free to share the video with your students in case they'd like to have an example of the sound.

You can also purchase the horns at well below retail at www.unisonsaxophonestore.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,275 Posts
Do they still make the baritone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts