Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at some Unison Saxophones and was wondering about the model numbers (level) and were they compare to each other and to other horns? There is not a lot of legacy Unison information on the web.

For instance, is the 7002 a "higher" level horn than the 5002, or is it visa versa. How does the Unison 7002 compare to a Antigua (520 or 521)? Are they comparable horns or is one "better" (construction wise) than the other?

How does the 7002 compare to todays Unison 2000 models?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Give Dave Kessler a call and discuss it with him (then buy one from him). I once owned a gorgeous gold-plated Unison alto (recall the model number was something like S200 - maybe S300) and then I played a Unison 2000 alto at k
Kessler's store. Both horns were impressive. I don't see much about them, though.

I'd guess that the higher the model number, the more horn is involved - marketing, you know. DAVE

·
Registered
232 Posts
I second that..give Dave a call. Most helpful. I bought one of his Kessler Customs last year and was quite pleased with it...
Alot of horn for the money...

You may also want to talk/email with Bob Campbell (Topsax) He sells an awesome Pro horn (Legend IV) for about the same amount. These are on par with many more expensive horns....(I think someone was selling one here..may be sold) ......Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, my questions were more around used horns, not new ones. I know based on my reading here, that Kessler offers a nice sax, but there are not many used ones for sale out there.

Based on my reading I understand that both Antigua and Unison are two of the more reputable Taiwan manufacturers.

I was more curious how the Unison's, particularly the 7002's and 5002's compare to the Antigua models 520 and 521. Any preferences? Is either one significantly better than the other and why?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmm, I know the 7002 Unisons are their standard series..Not sure about the 5002 series though. 7002 is the basic (good quality) student version. Should be able to find one on ebay for less than 4-500.00 I would think.(the new 2000's are nice but around 1300.00)
Same holds true for the Antigua 520 series....

Although the 521 is a step up (Intermediate/Pro)

If you can find a used 521 for a good price, go for it...full ribbed construction, double arms on lower keys..nice build quality...(new 521's are around 1300-1500.00) used maybe (600-900)

Depends on your budget and I would suggest trying out or looking at any used horns....you dont want to open up a can of worms.

If you can go the xtra couple hundred dollars...a new kessler custom or legend IV would be my choice for under 1000.00.....or a used Antigua 521....

Just alot of choices out there....I.m sure many here will have more info than I....Good Luck

·
Registered
654 Posts
Unison Models

I am quite familiar with the Unison saxes. I represented them at Trade shows from 1996 to 2004 and have sold quite a few out of my store over the years before transitioning to the Hollywoodwinds models. For the record:

The 7002L was the standard model alto. Clear lacquer, no engraving, ribbed construction, tilting spatula, high F#, blue steel springs. The 7002B was the same horn with a black nickel plated body and neck and clear lacquered keys

The 5002L was a budget model with post on body construction. Some had high F# but I recall most did not. No optional finishes.

The S300L was the pro alto. Gold lacquered body and keys, gold plated neck, engraved bell, ribbed,F#,blue steel, etc.
S300GG-gold plated body,neck and keys
S300BG-Black nickel plated body, gold pl neck & keys
S300BS- " " " " ,silver " "
also available as SS, SG,etc...
A2000-Custom model precursor to the Goodson model

The 6003 was the tenor equivalent of the 7002
The S400 was the tenor equivalent of the S300
The T2000 was the tenor equivalent of the A2000

The 5005 was the only bari model

9001- standard soprano, fixed neck
8001- standard soprano, two necks
S100- pro soprano, two necks, high G on later ones
S200- curved sop (I set one up and presented it to Benny Carter!)

Regarding your search, Nolzman. The 7002 is a far better horn than the 5002.
In many ways, I even prefer the 7002 to the S300 series (they are totally different instruments, not just an engraving difference) For me, the 7002's were darker and more centered, the S300s were brighter and a bit more flexible (pitch and timbre) which many other players preferred.
The key layout is great, the scale is excellent, the padwork on most was very good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks hornimprovement. In your opinion, how would the Unison horns compare to the Antigua horns, model for model? For instance, the 7002 would compare favorably to the Antigua xxxx.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nolzman said:
Thanks hornimprovement. In your opinion, how would the Unison horns compare to the Antigua horns, model for model? For instance, the 7002 would compare favorably to the Antigua xxxx.
I don't know the Antigua models well enough to compare them.
I found that the 7002 played better than many more expensive instruments.
They hold up well. I have many that I have had rented out for about six years.

·
Registered
784 Posts
hornimprovement,

Do you know if Unison made horns for E.M Winston?
I've had suspicions that the Unison S300 and EM Winston 303 are the same horn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there anyway to tell the Unison Model Number (S300, 5002, 7002, etc....) from the serial number?

I am looking at an older Unison with a serial number of 937009. What model is this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't matter at this point. There was a Unison sax on e-bay that looked to be in relatively good shape with those numbers and it extremely cheap. The auction has since ended, and the horn ended up selling for about $100. Thanks anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts