Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know about the Unison “Power Neck”? I’ve seen some photos but have never been able to try one. Was it a different design internally to the standard neck? Or maybe the only difference to the standard neck was that it was under slung.

I’m wondering if using that neck might give more power to the palm key notes which are pretty weak on my S-300 series ii.

Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hmm......About 15 years ago, I tried a gold plated, matte S400 tenor with the under slung neck at the House of Woodwinds in San Ramon, CA. The horn was a beast! And they only wanted $1300 for it. I was on a Martin kick, so I didn't buy it. But there was nothing weak about the palm keys on that horn. It out played every tenor in the shop, especially the Selmer Reference tenors the salesman was pushing on me. Man!! I should of bought that tenor.........Oh well. I guess this doesn't truly answer your question, but maybe it was more like the S400 neck?

later

JOel

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
The badge on the front reads “Power Meck” and it has the ridges in the the tenon. It’s the same. The guy didn’t run over to China and design it. Contrary to what they try to make you believe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I used to have a Unison alto with 2 different necks. And yes, they sounded slightly different. But changing your mouthpiece and reeds has a much, much, much bigger effect on "power" (volume/brightenss?) than the neck. I think you're wasting your time and money experimenting with different necks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts