Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this. Engraving with sphinx and pyramid on solid silver sax with gold plated keywork. Reminiscent of unique engravings on old Conn, King, and Martin saxophones. Rather opulent but eye candy for sure.

Not mine and no vested interest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
I bought an R&C 'semi-curvo' and while it was beautiful (gold-plated), it was somewhat thin in tone - just the opposite of what you would expect. I liked my Taiwan 'Tipped-bell' soprano much better. For the price, I'd much rather find a good used Yanagisawa Sterling soprano with two necks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
466 Posts
This is interesting, as I just bought a semi-curved gold plated R&C and find it has the richest, darkest tone of any modern soprano, very close to my vintage Bueschers!
Paul Cohen

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I agree with Paul. Mine (fully gold plated) has the thickest sound of the few sopranos I've played/owned (yamaha, conn, martin, selmer). It almost sounds like an alto with an extended register.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
I agree with Paul also. I play my R&C semi-curved in gold plate for its big, rich sound and very good intonation. The ergonomics are fine too and my old Conn, Yanagisawa, Selmer SIII and Suffet S-1 stay in their cases.

Rhys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts