Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this 1930 trany alto on ebay this evening...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220679011721&_trksid=p2759.l1259

The horn is underwhelming in every way. The neck is not the original, the silver plate has been buffed off and then the horn was lacquered... key guards are missing, and other sorted and sundry stuff is wrong with it.

I have the exact same horn, but in real nice playing condition with all the correct stuff associated with it. The unique part is, the serial number of this sax is one number away from mine.

What are the chances of that!?!?

I almost wanna buy it just so I can say I have two consecutively numbered 1930 Conn trany alto saxophones.

Who knew??? :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
That is pretty cool, the number thing. Well, the guy has priced it accordingly.

Am curious, though...how do you know it used to be silverplate ?

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is pretty cool, the number thing. Well, the guy has priced it accordingly.

Am curious, though...how do you know it used to be silverplate ?
I guess that was a pretty big ***-u-me-umption on my part..... I remember reading somewhere that Conn didn't really start lacquering horns full time until the late 1930's. But now, I do also recall reading the Finish options for Conn horns back in the late 20's and early 30's, and "Highly Polished" brass was an option.

I am really learning to dislike the tuner neck on MY horn, and so I am looking for a neck without a tuner that will fit in an effort to try and fix my upper / lower intonation problems. I can't identify the neck on the sister horn, but it is obviously not the original, but the seller says that the neck fits perfectly and "works fine" (I dunno about that since the horn looks unplayable in it's current condition).

$250 for the entire horn may be priced accordingly, but I think it's a bit steep for a neck... as that is all I am truly interested in, except for the fact that it is the next consecutive serial number...

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,872 Posts
$250 for the entire horn may be priced accordingly, but I think it's a bit steep for a neck... as that is all I am truly interested in, except for the fact that it is the next consecutive serial number...
That alone might justify the $250 if for nothing else a conversation piece(s).

There is another Super 20 owner on here that has the same serial number range as mine. If it ever goes on the block I am going to have to hock something to buy it. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, $250 for that thing... I always like how a no reserve auction always has a starting price....

$50 would be priced accordingly...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts