Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I play a high F sharp on my Mark VI tenor, there is so much resistance that it fights me, way more than on any note on the horn. (By the way, the horn is not leaking). WHen it was set up the tech asked if I wanted a split G like Bergonzi or Trane or a clean high G like Margitza or in classical. I told him I wanted to be able to both. It came back playing great, but with the split G, which is okay, except for the F sharp, which I can barely even play. I only mention the split G information in case it relates to the resistant F sharp.
Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with it. For what it is worth, I can play altissimo with facility, and the F sharp did not have this resistance before being set up. Any suggestions how this can be corrected?

Thanks for any thoughts, information, suggetions.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Have you asked your tech this question?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tech who set this up is out of state, but I guess I'll give him a call.
Actually, the entire horn is more resistant than I like, but the high F sharp is ridiculous - almost absent.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, talked to the tech who set this up (Ken Beason) on the phone, and turns out I have been using the wrong fingering. Problems solved.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Thanks for reporting back and solving this mystery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts