Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a new horn (series 3) and am basically overwhelmed with the horn, its fantastic. however my current mouthpiece (lebayle 8 jazz chamber) has me thoroughly underwhelmed. it's suddenly become extremely picky with reeds and the only one i can find that works is a 3 month old rico jazz select 3S filed. im looking for a large chamber piece that is linkish i guess. ill probably order from the states because the australian dollar is so strong so any advice or reccommendations are muchly appreciated. btw ill probably play my current setup for another month and a bit before maybe purchasing something.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i prefer metal. budget is vitually whatever i guess however i'd like to steer clear of anything absolutely ludicrous

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Jody Jazz, DV, DV New York, or DV Chicago are hard to beat.
And their service is brilliant.
They have a try and return policy if you don't like.
However, as it takes time to get them internationally, talk to JJ and they will
extend the trial period for international customers.

http://www.jodyjazz.com/

Reviews here....
http://www.jodyjazz.com/reviews.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been very happy with my JJ DV CHI, finding somewhere locally to test it could be tricky for you, there are Aussie dealers with them in stock who will allow you to return if not happy, that's what I did, no need to return in my case though

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Of the 'pieces that I went through while playing a Serie III, I preferred the Barone Jazz 8, Barone Hollywood 8, and Lawton 8*B (listed darker to brighter).

It comes down to a matter of what sound you are hoping to achieve and your personal tendency to play dark/bright on a given setup.

Enjoy the Quest!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Do you also want some resistance to push against, as a lot of Links give you? Or do you want something extremely free-blowing? Or something in the middle?

I love Link-style pieces as well... currently playing a Warburton Link STM NY (it's Eric's interpretation of a Florida Link) that I like a lot. Also really like a Barone Jazz piece I have. I would describe both as easy to play but not extremely free-blowing like I've heard the Jody pieces are.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i personally like a bit of resistance and i guess im strivin fo a darker jazz sound though that doesn't really narrow it down.

Timelord, which aussie dealer did you use?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
get in touch with Sakshama Koloski, he's a fine craftsman and he can fix you with a number of high quality replicas of fine pieces such as stubbies Dukoffs, FLA STM links, etc. I honestly think that his pieces are way better than the originals. One piece casting, excellent metal, top notch craftsmanship (And being able to work on my pieces and being a pain in the butt of a detailist, when I say "top notch" craftsmanship it IS top notch craftsmanship)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats the beak profile on it? barone is definitely in my considerations, so is one of morgan fry's floridated links and i'd have a ted klum focustone in a second if they weren't so damned expensive

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well australian prices vary greatly to US but i'd say in aussie dollars around $500, this is a hypothetical purchase atm but believe me im considering it :S it'll just depend on how i end up feeling with my current piece... i've added a new vintage otto link to the list of things im considering aswell...

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 - 20 of 84 Posts