Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
GORGEOUS!!!
Cant thank you enough for these great videos, and I am so glad you are having such fun with the mouthpiece!

P.S. I like the side palm key D you snuck in at the beginning. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!! It's cool to hear all the different versions of playing with the piece- screaming with big band, quartet playing, and unaccompanied- nowhere to hide! I'm actually going to be posting ANOTHER new video in 10 minutes (6pm EST) so stay tuned for that! It's a groove arrangement of a Mister Rogers tune from the same gig as "Just Another Day." Keep an ear out! #makejazzfunagain

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've just picked up my horn after a few years. I've been recording myself on the iPhone. I was kind of blaming the recording quality of the phone. Now thanks to you I realize just how bad I sound. Thanks for showing me just how far I have to go.< /sarc> :(

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
. . . . Now thanks to you I realize just how bad I sound. . .
Scientists have begun documenting this phenomena recently, and are referring to it as "DPE" ("Dave Pollack Effect"). In the effort to discern the pathology of the Effect, they've so far identified two distinct stages of DPE:

1. Listen to Dave Pollack.

2. Realize how bad you sound.​

Scientists remain skeptical that a cure will ever be found. They are, however, looking into the possibilities which the saxophone ligature has on bettering one's sound, as well as the potentiality for a player's advancement by means of procuring a new mouthpiece every two weeks or so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ok, I posted my first comment having only listened to half of it... and having heard the rest, wow, my first feedback was shamefully pedestrian. This is really wonderful!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Scientists have begun documenting this phenomena recently, and are referring to it as "DPE" ("Dave Pollack Effect"). In the effort to discern the pathology of the Effect, they've so far identified two distinct stages of DPE:

1. Listen to Dave Pollack.

2. Realize how bad you sound.​

Scientists remain skeptical that a cure will ever be found. They are, however, looking into the possibilities which the saxophone ligature has on bettering one's sound, as well as the potentiality for a player's advancement by means of procuring a new mouthpiece every two weeks or so.
Yes, a couple of new mouthpieces, or maybe a different neck. And since my iPhone 6 is so old that could be the problem. Maybe a $1300 iPhone X will solve the problem. Or maybe I could go back to the shed and work on those boring long tones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check this out! I am completely blown away- someone took the time to learn this entire solo and just posted a video of himself playing along with it! It's only on Instagram but I believe you can still watch it even if you don't have an account. Check it out here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrnpAKu...Os2aL0Ty77_F4bAX8K3ICqQhxbHB-Xzic1lhLB_0gFSQw

I'm so honored that someone else would take the time to learn another one of my solos!! Very cool thing.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Great take!
I really felt in love with Keith Jarretts' and Chicks' versions of "It could happen...". Have it on my cell and periodically listen one after another for last couple of years.
Strangely, didn't try to play it... Would be not easy stuff to create something meaningful I think.
May be will just transcribe something or will take Daves' ideas... We have an example here. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts