Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't transcribe the rhythm of a tune, even if its simple, like a Miles Davis solo or a Lester Young, and I'm talking about the typical rhythms that you expect to see in a transcription.
I hear people transcribe the rhythm first before figuring out the notes, but I find it a whole lot easier to transcribe the notes, it's just that I can't figure out the rhythm.
I sometimes can't tell if the person is playing on the upbeat or the downbeat, or if there are 8th rests involved.
Is there a way to have an easier time with this?

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
It seems like you need to learn some basic stuff about timing before you try to transcribe. Learn to tap your foot and clap. In 4/4 tap on 1 and 3 and cla on 2 and 4 = tap clap tap clap. In 3/4 or 6/8 tap clap clap. Keep doing it until you can hear how "spot on" close to the beats you are or not. Or snap your fingers.

Also try some little dance moves. This is very good practice. It might look a bit daft, but try line dancing. Hey, you might even start a new trend: line dancing to Miles.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It seems like you need to learn some basic stuff about timing before you try to transcribe. Learn to tap your foot and clap. In 4/4 tap on 1 and 3 and cla on 2 and 4 = tap clap tap clap. In 3/4 or 6/8 tap clap clap. Keep doing it until you can hear how "spot on" close to the beats you are or not. Or snap your fingers.
Great method! I've never thought of it....like Chunsoo I also find it easier to identify the notes than the beats. Namely when I'm trying to transcribe Dextor Gordon's Blue Bossa (which is all over youtube), I have trouble writing the notes on the scoresheet right from the first phrase. :faceinpalm:

Also try some little dance moves. This is very good practice. It might look a bit daft, but try line dancing. Hey, you might even start a new trend: line dancing to Miles.
I'm sorry but what's line dancing...? :scratch:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
I would like to suggest a new rule for SOTW to go along with No Politics and No Religion.

That rule would be...
NO LINE DANCING!

:protest: ...Thank You... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
591 Posts
hm, sometimes the phrasing can be difficult on put to paper correctly especially on ballads and with players like Miles or Lester... One option is to just learn something by ear or to use annotations such like "laid back" or "pushing". Just look out for the notes that fall exactly on the beat an do the rest by ear.
Hope this helps!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
I tap with my fingers to figure it out. One with my thumb, two with my index finger etc. Also try to do it one bar at a time and use audacity(free audio program) or transcribe(which is not free) to repeat one bar

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts
You have to feel the beat really strongly. I tap my foot. When my foot is don that is a downbeat. When it's up that is an upbeat. With 16th notes I sometimes speed my foot tap to twice as fast and use the same process to see if a note is the 1,2,3 or 4th 16th note. Also, many time I sing along with the music while moving my fingers to 1,2,3,4. It speeds up the process if I see the next note comes on the and of 4 and then I work backwards. The more you do this the easier it gets. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Count: One-ta tay-ta Two-ta tay-ta...

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
I've gone back to uni... or college as the norther hemispherians call it.

This week I learned about this:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory20.htm#rsyllables

Which is - Rhythm syllables, also called 'French time names' or, in French, langue des durées.

A different way of thinking about it and quite useful I found.... my time and counting sucks, I think this helps.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh, maybe i shouldn't ask what line dancing is. :mrgreen: Thanks Pete.

So far, good read and useful info. It helped me, I hope it helps the OP too.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
I sometimes can't tell if the person is playing on the upbeat or the downbeat...
Once you get the tapping down, so you can really hear each downbeat, you'll get to the point where you can also 'hear' or, more accurately, feel, the upbeat. Especially when the line starts on an upbeat. It is very useful and essential to feel the difference between a downbeat and an upbeat. Hard to explain how, but once you do it's pretty easy.

I kind of hear it like this: "da-ba da-ba da-ba da-ba" etc, That would represent a series of 8th notes, with "da" being the downbeat and "ba" being the upbeat. Try tapping your foot with da on the downbeat & ba on the upbeat (as your foot lifts). Once you get that going, reverse it and start on an upbeat: "ba-da ba-da" You should hear a significant difference, especially if you 'swing' the eight notes slightly. Focus on the upbeat. It sort of leads into the downbeat and feels different. When you swing the notes, the upbeat is a bit shorter. That helps to hear the upbeat, but it also feels different even with a straight beat.

Ok, that's the best I can do to describe this. It's much easier to feel/hear than to describe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts