Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a nice Bob Carpenter MP based on the RICO Graftonite M5 Baritone sax MP (It looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Rico-Graftonite-Baritone-Sax-Mouthpiece/dp/B0002HU8IU )

The problem is the ligature, its a standard 2 screw lig, kinda bent, anyways I'm in the market for a new Lig.

I really enjoy my FL ultimate on Tenor, so I figured I'd try one on my Bari Piece. I ordered the size based on this chart: http://saxplus.com/ligature-chart.html
which advised me to purchase the XL BARI, when it arrived it was way too large for my mouthpiece (I know that you can sometimes bend them to make them fit... it was too large for that). So I sent the Lig back.

I'd still like to try the FL ultimate, but I don't want to make the same mistake of not asking the community if they could offer any insight as to which size to get?

I think that the Lig I need is the L BARI, but the Graftonite seems to fit hard rubber Tenor ligatures.... so the right choice might be the XL Tenor, like the saxplus chart recommends from some of the other Bari Mouthpieces.
But the XL Tenor would have the wrong size pressure plates?

I'd like to avoid purchasing the wrong ligature again.
Any help (or opinions) would be appreciated, Thanks.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
I used a XLTEN when I play tested a graftonite, and I still use it on my Vandoren V16 (bari). I think the only difference between the XLTEN and the LBARI is the pressure plate. Since bari reeds aren't much wider than tenor, it really doesn't make a difference. I bought a used small alto to fit my tenor mouthpiece, and I just had to swap the pressure plates because there is more of a difference between those two than tenor to bari. I love playing the FL Ultimate ligs, but they sure are a pain to make tuning adjustments (mouthpiece in/ out on cork). The PureBrass model (sizes are the same) feels the same to me and is easier to adjust, but no one ever has them in stock...I'm not even sure they are made anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts