Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know there's got to be a few decent refacers in the UK. After doing a search on here and google I've only found one name - where's the rest?

Any recommendations welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts
I imagine you've found Ed Pillinger. I did a search for research purposes on this myself and turned up some other names who 'used to be at [insert name of dealer here]', so no telling if they're still around. Pete Thomas recommends Ed. Maybe they're not prevalant in the UK, Brits not finding refaces necessary or not having the funds to do so?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,840 Posts
well, I conducted a search on the internet myself and found another Name http://www.dawkes.co.uk/ where Mr. Anton Weinberg seem to be doing some special things, unfortunately only to ebonite pieces, while I was interested in metal, rates seem to be very reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts
milandro said:
well, I conducted a search on the internet myself and found another Name http://www.dawkes.co.uk/ where Mr. Anton Weinberg seem to be doing some special things, unfortunately only to ebonite pieces, while I was interested in metal, rates seem to be very reasonable.
Yes, I saw the mention on Dawkes too. Pillinger is £35 for a reface, worth a call if you require work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup - it seems strange that there are so few refacers in busines in the UK especially when there are so many good players! Maybe its because everybody sends their stuff to the states.

I'll give Mr Pillinger a try - I just need a link opened up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts
docformat said:
Yup - it seems strange that there are so few refacers in busines in the UK especially when there are so many good players! Maybe its because everybody sends their stuff to the states.

I'll give Mr Pillinger a try - I just need a link opened up.
www.pillingermouthpieces.co.uk

There ye go, one link! :D
 

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
Joined
·
8,322 Posts
Ok. Seems like it's Dawkes or Ed Pillinger then!! Has anyone here actually had work done by either of these on a m/p (metal/rubber?)? I sent a couple of emails to Mr Pillinger a while back to make enquiries and had very nice replies but to be honest I still wasn't clear what a "standard reface" means. Would that just mean opening the tip ie turning a STM 6 into a 6*, for example? Have any uk members sent m/ps to the States to have work done?
 

·
Moderator
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
Joined
·
28,913 Posts
Saxplayer67 said:
Pete Thomas recommends Ed. Maybe they're not prevalant in the UK, Brits not finding refaces necessary or not having the funds to do so?
He also recommends Bill Wrathall who works out of Michael White shop in Ealing.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Well, we don't have many psychoanalysts either. There could be a connection.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
...After all, this is the country where anybody who was anybody bought their new Mk VI in the 50s and immediately had it relacquered by the best man in town to improve the tone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
I believe we have strayed this way before. I agree that it is strange that there are so few over here but it caused me to wonder how long refacing has been a serious undertaking in the US. I know people have been hacking at their mouthpieces for ever but pro refacers are maybe a fairly recent phenomenon? Yes? No? I don't know, just wondered. It's something to have a row about anyway. There aren't so many makers here either. I set about one of mine with some fine grade wet 'n' dry and it turned out ok. I might be tempted by somebody who knew what they were doing though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
I've got one of Pillinger's mouthpieces for my baritone sax. It's a great mpc and they are great to do business with.
I also play a tenor "very vintage" Berg that has been fixed by Pillinger. It plays great as well.
 

·
Moderator
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
Joined
·
28,913 Posts
JimD said:
I agree that it is strange that there are so few over here but it caused me to wonder how long refacing has been a serious undertaking in the US.
Not sure about the US, but over here Bill Wrathall has been refacing for a very very long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,898 Posts
There is a guy called Norman Brown who does some refacing. He was lead alto with ray mcvae's miller band I think? He does refacing for woodwind exchange in Bradford. I don't know where he is based or what his work is like... I'm alot of help, I know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
hi guys
does anyone have a website/ contact details for Bill Wrathall. will he reface my otto link super tone master and if so around how much is it likely to cost its just slightly chipped and looks a bit unsymetrical when i try to line up the reed. thanks
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
potiphar said:
...After all, this is the country where anybody who was anybody bought their new Mk VI in the 50s and immediately had it relacquered by the best man in town to improve the tone.
ooooh that was a low blow :twisted:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top