Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the situation now is for flights from the UK to Europe as regards carrying on a Hiscox or ProTech tenor case? Good and bad experiences?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
My teacher has taken his MkVI tenor + Hiscox to and from UK recently, as carry-on, with no problems.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Check with the airline; they vary. Most should be OK about musical instruments - the make of case is not an issue, or even its shape and size. You may be able to carry on board or have the sax treated as fragile. You may have to pay extra for the latter. I wouldn't hold out much hope on Ryanair; all others are worth a punt. (Forgive the pun; it was unintentional, but I will leave it in.)

Please let us know how you get on.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
gary said:

without doubt the worst airport in the entire world! I've never had a problem with my horns or even a small pair of scissors I carry to trim my beard but on a layover there last spring they got all bent up about legal presciption medicines I take to keep these old lungs operating. They dumped out and inspected each and every pill,opened blisterpaks of antibiotics and steroids I need for emergencies then just left it all in a pile for me to sort out. I did insist they put on new rubber gloves before they did this but am glad I'm not a germophobe. Since then whenever possible on euro trips I avoid Charles de Gaulle...and I like the French folks!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air Berlin from Stansted to Berlin and back allowed me to carry on my new Hiscox Pro II tenor case. I put the tenor in a blanket to stop any movement, in case I was forced to check it, and think it would have survived all but being dropped on its end - the case is really tough - but they were completely at ease with my carrying it on. Just for information: I suspect good upmarket small airlines in Europe will generally not cause any trouble.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Michael Ward said:
How is flying to the US with a tenor right now? I once got on a Virgin flight to Newark with tenor,alto and sop..they made me get on last. That was fun.

I don't fly Virgin. They don't go all the way!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Do not put your sax through as fragile. Baggage handlers do not know this word. I've never had a problem taking a tenor as hand luggage, domestically, around Europe or internationally. No sax , no fly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
andrewbowie said:
Anyone know what the situation now is for flights from the UK to Europe as regards carrying on a Hiscox or ProTech tenor case? Good and bad experiences?
Having flown frequently over the years with altos and tenors I have to say that I've only ever experienced a problem once, at Hong Kong airport and even then, I talked my way out of the problem. If you're told to place it in the hold, be nice and explain that your livelihood depends on it (even if it doesn't - in this case a white lie does not hurt).

Join the UK Musicians Union and you will receive their new Approved Guidelines For Aviation Security pass for Musical Instruments and Equipment. The MU have negotiated with the Department for Transport and the following guidelines apply:

Passengers are allowed just ONE item of hand lugguge 56x45x25. In addition you can carry through the airport security point ONE musical instrument in its case - including a cello, so a Hiscox case should be okay. No key oil allowed inside! Keep your MU card and the pass in your case, just incase you meet a zealous security official who does not know about this relatively new agreement. I believe the US MU have a similar scheme.

I'm flying to Canada in August and will carry my tenor and soprano saxes on the plane, as usual, safe in the knowledge that if challenged, I can produce the docs. I use a Reunion Blues double case - yes I know, it's soft - but I've never experienced any damage. Also it looks fairly innocuous and as I don't carry any other hand luggage it rarely attracts any attention.

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
kwg333 said:
I use a Reunion Blues double case - yes I know, it's soft - but I've never experienced any damage. Also it looks fairly innocuous and as I don't carry any other hand luggage it rarely attracts any attention.
I too have flown overseas with a Reunion blues bag, and had no problems. Two points: They are never going to make you check a horn in such a case. Also, not taking any other carry-on shows respect to them in turn for regarding your instruments as your carry-on, not a bonus bag. If you don't appear to be trying to take advantage or get away with something, they are much more respectful.

In most cases, I was allowed to pre-board immediately following the handicapped and first-class passengers which ensured that I found a safe spot to put the horn! You will be amazed at what people will do for you when you ask nicely with a smile on your face as opposed to making demands!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts