Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I would like to know which UK dealers offer the best trade in prices. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Robert

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
And if you haven't already, please send the recommended dealer's info to me as well. I'm still starving for European dealers for the Dealer Directory Europe forum (yet to be released).

Cheers.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Robert some of the well known shops don't do part ex anymore..they'll just offer to sell it for you on commission. Two shops I have part ex'd instruments are Bradford Woodwind and Windblowers in Notts. My 2 part ex's at Bradford were fair. Watch out for shops hiking up the price if you do have an instrument to dob in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
stitch said:
If you decide to visit Windblowers, you should drop in at Toot Sweet as well - it's just across the road!
.... but don't expect too much! Last time I was in, there were some 'potentially' nice horns, but most needed work that wasn't reflected in the ticket price.

I was seriously interested in a S/P SML 'Super 45' alto ticketed at £1,100 but it leaked like a sieve and would probably have cost me £300 for an overhaul by someone I trusted. The salesman, young american chap, told me that the leaks would be sorted before the sax left the shop, but who in their right mind is going to shell out £1,100 for a horn that might or might not be a player?

They had a couple of Truetones in last time I was there - "try this one, it doesn't leak" at around the £700/£800 mark (way over-priced imho) and a well used Conn Chu alto that I think "I could take £850 on this one because its one of mine" - if memory serves.

Windblowers might not have big stocks of vintage horns, but those that I've seen and tried in there are well over-hauled, ready to play and in the right ball-park price-wise.

I've no particular axe to grind and am not connected with either business, although I have bought a couple of mpc's from Windblowers over the years.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
Michael Ward said:
My 2 part ex's at Bradford were fair. Watch out for shops hiking up the price if you do have an instrument to dob in.
You are likely to get a better price without part exchange, ie more likely to negotiate a discount which is fair enough IMO as (a) the shop gets the money sooner and (b) they don't have to find space for your old horn.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hmm I thought this was related to Dog Pants love in thread :twisted:

I guess not;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
However, is it cheaper to buy it online? It could save me lot of money.
It might be, but the people at Bradford Woodwind Exchange are very decent sorts and will give probably give you a discount if you ask and they are able. You will also be able to build up a relationship with a great dealership that also has a repair service on site, so you might find that what you don't save will pay other dividends in the long run. They have a lot, and I mean a lot, of horns and you can spend all day trying them out. You can't do that on line, they don't bring you cups of tea on line either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts