Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
That is one weird looking horn. The wear pattern is wacky; as if it was a silver plated horn that was lacquered over with golden lacquer, which has worn off in lots of places and the silver plating has also worn to bare brass in places as well. Yuck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
Trying to figure out what happened to it - looks like spray can gold lacquer over a silver-plated horn. Sure, 99 cents, but $260 shipping!

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
That is one weird looking horn. The wear pattern is wacky; as if it was a silver plated horn that was lacquered over with golden lacquer, which has worn off in lots of places and the silver plating has also worn to bare brass in places as well. Yuck.
Great minds think alike! I was looking at it while you were posting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
It looks like a nickle plate finish to me. The wear doesn't look natural more like the finish was poorly applied or someone abandoned an attempt to remove it? Got me...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Could be that magical killer horn everyone keeps talking about.
For $250 in shipping, I think i would just fly over and get it.

·
2,294 Posts
Many of the lacquer body + silver key horns wound up in Italy for some reason. Maybe Douglas Pipher can shed some light on that.
Quite common in the UK as well. Seen a fair few here in Finland, so I suspect that it's a European thing............

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It's interesting to hear about what people consider ugly. 12 years ago, when I began learning sax as my very first instrument, I rented this YTS-21. It was the only one the music store had left and you can see why: no kid going to school would want to be seen with it. It has plenty of dents and a long line of solder on the bow. Anyway, I rented it and bought it a few months later. It plays very well. It hasn't gotten any worse under my care and in some areas I've had it repaired to fix some clackiness.

I probably badly overpaid for it in 2007 ($500) and it may not sell for even half that today, but it does play well and I like it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Whilst I think having a pretty horn is great - to me how it plays is probably most important. I had a very old Selmer Balanced Action Tenor. It had been buffed and relaquered - it actually had drips of set lacquer near the low key tone holes. The G# key was worn through to the brass. But it played like the dickens and sounded the best of all the tenors I owned for my modest ability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts