Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here sent a horn to MusicMedic for an "Uberhaul"? If so, I'd be very interested to hear about your experience and the result.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
Uberhaul®........ :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldn't that be Überhaul?
Yes, but I lack the technological wherewithal to create an umlaut. I'm not sure whether the word should be italicized or not, since the addition of the "haul" sort of bastardizes the foreign aspect of the word. So I decided to put it in quotes (at least in the text of the post), instead. I was trying to cover all of my bases.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,948 Posts
I'm not sure whether the word should be italicized or not, since the addition of the "haul" sort of bastardizes the foreign aspect of the word.
Not quite:

[Middle English haulen, from Old French haler, of Germanic origin; see kel-2 in Indo-European roots.]

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I believe it's "Überholung".

(Definition, über: a foreign word mistranslated and misused in American English to convey a certain worldly sophistication, which ironically is cancelled out by the very mis-use of the word, itself.) :twisted:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,335 Posts
Yes, but I lack the technological wherewithal to create an umlaut. I'm not sure whether the word should be italicized or not, since the addition of the "haul" sort of bastardizes the foreign aspect of the word. So I decided to put it in quotes (at least in the text of the post), instead. I was trying to cover all of my bases.
If you don't have an umlaut just add an "e", thus "ueberhaul". Not so sexy, but miles better than "uberhaul" (#^.^#)

1 - 20 of 284 Posts