Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn't that be Überhaul?
Yes, but I lack the technological wherewithal to create an umlaut. I'm not sure whether the word should be italicized or not, since the addition of the "haul" sort of bastardizes the foreign aspect of the word. So I decided to put it in quotes (at least in the text of the post), instead. I was trying to cover all of my bases.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
I'm not sure whether the word should be italicized or not, since the addition of the "haul" sort of bastardizes the foreign aspect of the word.
Not quite:

[Middle English haulen, from Old French haler, of Germanic origin; see kel-2 in Indo-European roots.]

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I believe it's "Überholung".

(Definition, über: a foreign word mistranslated and misused in American English to convey a certain worldly sophistication, which ironically is cancelled out by the very mis-use of the word, itself.) :twisted:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
3,406 Posts
Yes, but I lack the technological wherewithal to create an umlaut. I'm not sure whether the word should be italicized or not, since the addition of the "haul" sort of bastardizes the foreign aspect of the word. So I decided to put it in quotes (at least in the text of the post), instead. I was trying to cover all of my bases.
If you don't have an umlaut just add an "e", thus "ueberhaul". Not so sexy, but miles better than "uberhaul" (#^.^#)

1 - 20 of 284 Posts