Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He seems to have been on the scene for only about 10 years or so starting in the late 1960s. His Natural Essence Blue Note LP is a great example of late 60s adventurousness, and he was good on Horace Silver's The Jody Grind. He was on a handful of other more obscure recordings, but seems to have dropped from sight years ago. Is he still alive, or even still playing?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Can't speak to the veracity of this, but this guy, claiming to be Tyrone's brother, posted this in a review on Amazon:
Tyrone R. Washington is my brother and he did drift away from music to pursue his religion. Woody Shaw grew up in our home and through his suggestions got my brother to leave Howard University School of Music and join the Horace Silver bans during the early 1960s. My brother moved into New York City's State of New York Conservatory of Music Building on West Street. And, as you maybe aware, played with a number of the great artist before completely abandoning music for preaching the gospel. Tyrone changed his name to Bialar Mohammed. He lives in Newark, New Jersey and while we respect his decision to leave music and practice his faith, he left a lot of great music on the table. To God be the glory. This is one of his great works of art. Bob Washington
This quote was lifted from: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Essen...05GKBQ/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showV

·
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dgs, sounds plausible to me. That quote is from September 2010 so it sounds like he is likely still alive but no longer playing. He would turn 67 this year. Natural Essence has to be one of the great premiere recordings in jazz, at least for the open-eared. He was born in 1944 according to Wikipedia, so Washington was only 23 or so when NE was recorded in 1967 (and if the quote is correct about his joining Silver in the "early 1960s" that could have been at a very young age). Natural Essence is availabe on an inexpensive vinyl reissue, for anyone who is interested: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/tyrone-washington-natural-essence-vinyl-lp.shtml. A second album, Roots, is listed on that same website but the snippets I've heard from Washington's 70s output are far less interesting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is consistent with what I have heard through several other sources, though I can't verify this source. His work with Larry Young is, to my ear, some of the very best stuff in LY's discography.
I have the Horace Silver best of Box set and in the liner notes it has a picture of Tyrone and looks like he is playing a The Martin Com III and I got to say he sound alot like joe henderson for a long time I thought it was Joe playing on jody grind. But I know this is an old thread but just had to add that.

·
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Horace Silver best of Box set and in the liner notes it has a picture of Tyrone and looks like he is playing a The Martin Com III and I got to say he sound alot like joe henderson for a long time I thought it was Joe playing on jody grind. But I know this is an old thread but just had to add that.
I missed this reply. Coincidentally, Heiner Stadler's Brains on Fire just popped up in my shuffle play, this tune in particular. Tyrone could sound absolutely frightening:

A quick browse of the interwebs turns up no more definitive info about him than was available 10 years ago. I hope that some day more information on what became of Tyrone Washington will come to light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts