Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've been looking for a tenor for awhile, and have a lead on a martin typewriter that is for sale locally. I was just wondering how much it's worth? It looks to be in good condition, has just had overhaul (according to seller). the seller wants 1250 for it.....is this a reasonable price? I don't want to get ripped off. also, how are the keys? they look difficult, although I would imagine they are fine once you get used to them.....thanks in advance for your help!

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I like Martin horns, but I have found typewriters very awkward to play because of the keywork.

I assume you're looking for a player's horn rather than a collector's horn. If that's the case, I think you could find a better use for $1250.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
They're manageable, but you have to get used to them. That price looks high though, even for a good one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,120 Posts
As long as you don't like to roll the pinky keys you are OK. I have 2 altos and the sound quality is really nice. I just missed that bari on ebay that sold for $349!!! Pricewise, the tenor is about right if it plays well and the finish is OK. Is it plated or lacquer?

·
21,120 Posts
Pricing is hard on typewriters as they only made them for about 2 years. I think I paid about $500 for the last Alto I bought with great plating but needing pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I never have a problem with the left hand stack keys even though they are pearls. My only complaint has been the positioning of the thumb hook. the only way to tell for you is to play it.Tone -wise, they sound great! I have a tenor, by the way.

·
21,120 Posts
These all have the heavy bodies and the good features of the series III, front F and most important the high C# adjuster. If you can't live withe the pearls, get a series III (after 1928) or a Troubador.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Add to these features that Bruce mentions: no G# trill key or auxiliary Eb key. In spite of the split bell keys, they look surprisingly modern. (Mine is in gleaming silver plate and looks great.)

However, Bruce, can you enlighten me, please, on the high C# adjuster?

·
21,120 Posts
Beginning around 1928 they put a tang on the C pad lever (the bar that the B and A key pushes shut) so that when the octave key is pressed and no LH stack keys are closed, the little C-C# pad gets closed. This keeps C#3 and D3from being sharp. Important on a Martin.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thanks, Bruce; I'll take a look at that later in the week when I have a moment to spare.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So...theres a spot on the front of the tenor, just under the neck socket that has some interesting laquer wear. The spot appears to be silver...underneath a really dark gold laquer. this makes me think it might have been relaquered over a silver plate. It would have been done years ago, because the lacquer has darkened...I was just wondering whether this is a sign of relacquer, or whether i'm just paranoid. It doesn't really matter much, the horn sounds amazing!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just a word for Bruce to say that I looked at the C key and the tang; very interesting - thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hello !!

I'm using this post to ask you all, if a 1930's TYPEWRITER (alto) can be a truely collectionable horn and/or a player one ? What the things important to see about them when you have to purchase...? What about the intonation, sound of it ...?

Thanks !

Max.

·
21,120 Posts
Nice horns but the keywork is not for everyone. The most important thig to look for is the finish. Since a typewriter is known for the pearls, it should have good plating with minimal wear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts