·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

This week I ordered my 1st Yani!
And it got to Michigan today.
My 1st new sax since 1982 SA80 Alto

Great deal from sax.co, double boxed and they switched out mouthpiece for a #7 for free!

Super happy looks perfect. Need to eat, and brush teeth before going on
My 1st date. Lol.

Hit Tenor a few years ago, tried a chu berry then had a 36 10M and a 1st gen YTS62 at the same time
I couldn’t decide what to do so sold the Yanny and the Conn, then pondered.
Saw numerous vids, comparisons etc and discovered Yanagisawa. Which seems to be in between the two. I found the 62 to be too bright, same goes for 82’s. So here I am

Now I have a quandary. I have two cases both New a white Hiscox with blue interior and the original case from Yanagisawa. Which one do I keep. I don’t travel much with it and won’t be using back straps and riding a bike with it for sure. Need to sell one to help pay for Sax.

Thanks
Guzziman

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to the TWO1 club!

When in doubt, always keep a horn's original equipment and unload your redundant items. The Yany case has better storage both inside and out. It's also pretty light for a full rectangular case. Plus, I think you'll have better luck selling a third-party case that's intended to be marketed separately, rather than a horn company's case that people may think is only for that brand of instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
All good points above but I would keep the hisxox. In my estimate theynare better cases and you may as well have maximum protection on occasions you do use it. A Hiscox is also good in overhead bins on planes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When in doubt, always keep a horn's original equipment and unload your redundant items.
+1 Unless you prefer the Hiscox, keep the Yany case with the Yany--it has received many of its own rave reviews, aside from the horn! I have one with my A-WO33 and it is magic; I like to keep accessories and carry charts with case. But Phil has a good point about compactness of shaped Hiscox for travel.

Congrats, and thanks for sax.uk.co experience feedback. Could you comment on shipping time (you imply 5 days?!) and whether duty was collected in US--some folks suggesting that the customs folks are too busy to mess with single boxes to individuals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input. I just took her for a quick date. Love the power and rounded tone already. Feels similar to my 62, but already plays much easier to get to high F and F#! Middle G is slightly inconsistent must be a mild leak. Need to break her in. The Yani mouthpiece is very very tight. Tried both Yani 7 which has since dark tone and my Runyon 8 “The Spoiler” which is already singing up front and center with ease. This Horn is what I have been looking for!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered this Tuesday night after negotiating with Jules who was very timely and responsive. Fair price of £2125 plus 50 to ship. I picked it up 2 pm my time at UPS depot near my home. This unit is mint and not some Demo. They were nice to swap out standard HR mouthpiece for a 7 - very nice touch. I was contacted by UPS to pay $165 in tax plus $10 handling fee to clear customs. Nothing but praise about the entire transaction with Sax.Co.UK. I will not however ever attempt to deal with Dawkes ever again. Sent a form
Letter back to me in lieu of acknowledging my requests.

Only complaint so far may be final setup. Going to run light to see how keys are set up. Some tweaking is needed, but seems quite minor.

Back to the case. I heard mixed reviews on Uani case and want to know how they are holding up after a few years use. I also like the look and solidity of the Hiscox
Thanks
Guzziman

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
wanderso: I don't think you should worry the customs' fees. I've purchased several instruments from the Netherlands (Matthews Muziek) over the years, all shipped to me in L.A. from Edam, and I've never paid any fees.

However, I realize that the fees could have been applied and I was prepared to pay them, if requested to do so. The fact that I wasn't billed was not proof of how every transaction would proceed. So whether or not Guzziman paid them or didn't pay them is only mildly interesting - no indicator that your purchase would or would not result in US Customs' fees being applied.

Besides, those fees certainly weren't as much as I saved by making the purchase at Matthews (and I assume the same for sax.com in the UK). Even with the fees, the prices were considerably lower than what U.S. discounters were charging in the U.S.

If my AWO1, purchased from Matthews is any indication of the quality of Guzziman's TWO1, I'm sure he is going to really enjoy it. DAVE

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI. I was told that because the instrument came in over $2500 that A tax ID was required to clear customs. Either a Social security number or a corporate iD. UPS phoned me and asked for it. A day later UPS sent me an email requesting payment os $165 plus $10 for handling transaction. Works out to about 6% which may be state sales tax, not sure as they didn’t specify what it was. I am going to call later and find out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So you got a little break from the web-published price, that's sweet, never thought to negotiate.
Did not intend any misunderstanding, I did not mean to suggest they sell beat-up demos, simply that they do come off the store wall rather than out of a never-previously-opened box, according to Jules. But the very popular T-W01 they probably had several of.
Still can't get over three-day transit time! Hardly enough time to lose sleep in anticipation.
Most very cool you are loving it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
wanderso: I don't think you should worry the customs' fees. I've purchased several instruments from the Netherlands (Matthews Muziek) over the years
Thanks, yes, anecdotes, but helpful.
I just made my first purchase from Matthews (Selmer Tenor Light Case) and am waiting for it to show up on US shipping radar. Super nice folks to deal with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to negotiate as I found a UK dealer with a Better price and asked what they could do. Jules responded that they would beat it and give me the 5% off deal they had for local residents last weekend if I responded in 24 hours. It didn’t take long lol. Including shipping was under $2700. Add on the tax I paid and still under $2900 and delivered in 3 days! Incredible.
I had a second date with my trusty Runyon and we jammed out with the Stones and a few others. Played loud and sometimes softer.
Yani is breaking in and playing better each song. Love this Sax. Sound, playability, Vibe character. All good. Looking at it, only real but is the Engraving is sparse, that’s Ok but it’s a bit inconsistent. They need to hire a few real artists at Yanagisawa. Other than that the Aax has already exceeded my expectations, sounds fantastic. My research of critical listening has paid off, and very happy of the tone from the brass model, for awhile I debated about the TWO2 bronze model but now realize I made the right choice.
Wonder if I should sandpaper the mouthpiece, when I got it on and tight I was a half tone flat. Didn’t want to push it farther as it will flatten cork and make my other mouthpieces loose! The sound of the HR 7 is nice by the way.
One last thing middle c# is coming in flat for me? otherwise intonation is great.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Looking at it, only real but is the Engraving is sparse, that’s Ok but it’s a bit inconsistent. They need to hire a few real artists at Yanagisawa.
The engraving on the Professional models (WO1, WO2) is much simpler than on the Elite models (WO10, WO20). This is one of the ways that Yany differentiates between the two lines, and keeps its costs (and the prices) down on the Pro series. If you want to see Yanagisawa art, examine the engraving on the sterling silver horns. Or even better, check out the Yany Flower saxes. I posted a thread about them here a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s not a question of sparse. I get that to keep costs down. It’s the fact that the pattern in the lines are not smooth, have gaps and inconsistent cutting depths. Looks like the work of a kid trying to learn how to do engraving on saxes by himself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I, too, have a TW01. As with yours, the engraving is not the best I've ever seen. Also, I had to have the neck tenon worked on as the crook was very loose. Good instrument though, but build quality and finish does not seem anywhere near as good as that of my A880 which is about thirty five years old .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I must have read your review or similar in the past. I recall the neck tenon issue. Mine is a nice snug fit and tightens up fully with a less than a full turn of the screw and seems consistent on all sides. There are some setup issues of pads not closing flat and maybe key heights affecting tuning of middle C# I noticed earlier. But this Sax sings and plays beautifully, and I am super happy with my choice. The engraving thing is not a big deal just an expected disappointment given all the saxes I have seen over the years. I concur that these are marvelous saxophones but feel they have been pushed out the door with perhaps less care than some other models. Maybe a result of the models success. I bet that the TWO1 is their best seller because in my opinion it is also their best value. All I need to do now is get the final setup.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,222 Posts
Kind of shocking to see anything amiss on a new Yany.

My TWO1 is terrific. True that the engraving is simple. I guess i spend a lot of time playing, and not much time looking at the artsy scratchings. The T9937 is much more elaborate if the mood strikes.

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,222 Posts
Oh, and what Guzzi?

I currently have a 1997 1100i in the garage. Previously had an Ambassador, Eldorado, and a decrepit 150 "sport". Love me some Guzzi.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was a 2000 V11 Jackal. Now have 78 GS1000, 75 CB750F and a 72 Suzuki Titan T500!
Test drove a new Guzzi V7 this year and liked it a lot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts