Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started innocently couple yrs back..my tenor was worn out, I had old ancient Noyeks and a newer mix of pads, she still played great (MKVI), just a hodge podge of pad/reso stuff. Also plenty of duct tape and other "fixes" too.

It was finally time for a complete resto job. My buddy here in Vegas (a great tenor player) had mail-ordered a set of pads from Tenor Madness. So I do the same, over the phone TM was great helping me (thanks Tom), they used my serial # to provide a perfectly fitted set of their finest Pisoni's, I opted for custom-fitted oversize thin polished brass reso's. A month or so later I had them in my hand..fast forward a couple months after that I found out my local genius tech wasn't so great on the install, but Kesslers finished it up for me (after a lengthy 3 mo waiting in line) so a tenor o'haul that should have taken 6 wks took me 6 months..but needless to say completely restored my VI tenor is an awesome horn.

OK just the beginning, I figure while all this is happening I'll send in my trusty old DG LT super king tenor mpc for a reface, the thing needed it bad, it was shot, 15 yrs hard playing and I had knocked a few burrs off the tip myself..So I sent it off..

In the meantime I get tired of buying cheap altos to replace the silver VII alto I had to sell a few yrs ago. So financial times being better I found a beauty, a cherry VII for less than 2K..now I got a real alto again..but what about that handmade DG studio mpc that I had to sell when my first VII got sold. The orig DG's were now stratospheric..OK thank you Sakshama for a fantastic repro.

Oh hell it gets better, my tenor mpc comes back, wow looked beautiful, but he closed it somehow, had to send it back to open it a bit. A month later I got it back again..anyway it never felt comfortable to me, I sold it..then I picked up a deal on a pre-owned Boss metal..great mpc, then I ordered a Black Widow which I still play..oh it gets real good now..I spot a good deal on a like-new "used" custom Vigilante, I pulled the trigger. Now I'm learning 3 brand new tenor mpcs after playing basically the same Super King over 15 yrs..well the Boss has moved on. The Widow and Vigilante are still with me.

By this time between messing with a new horn and various mpcs and still waiting on the repad taking almost 6 mos to complete I figured time to step up in the Soprano dept.

I had sold my series III Sop way back.. and like the cheap alto search over a few yrs period I had burned through 4-5 cheapie sops. So I knew what I wanted (MKVI) , but once again the prices had sky-rocketed..So I grabbed a good deal on a Series II sop, again for less than 2K, this one got slightly damaged in shipping but Kesslers came through and got the horn playing good.

But hey new horn maybe you need a new mpc ? ...So I sent my old metal BARI hawk sop mpc to a re-face guy. Came back fantastic.

So why stop here, I was on a roll..in the meantime I had also decided to try a couple stock Links on my Tenor, didn't work for me...also for fun I tried a huge metal Berg for my alto (.110 ouch) I picked up and sold a Phil-Tone ..ended up sticking with my old Lakey and the Sakshama studio G.

Time marches on and I had picked up a nice old Bari for cheap, I had sold my old Runyon Quantum Delrin mpc (and my series III bari) long ago. Then over a couple months period I ordered 2 different V16's and 2 metalites. I kept the Metalites..I had gotten the Bari fixed like new and I wanted a metal mpc, I got serious and found a stock metal berg for a song and just had it refinished by Brian Powell. It is something else !!

All good things come to an end and I hope I'm done..during all this I have spent a ton on reed trials and a few Ligs trials, thankfully I think all my new set-ups are complete. I know the best stuff.. Time to get comfortable again.

...now if I only had a real gig..:mrgreen:

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually just got the Berg bari mpc back from Brian Powell a week ago. This completed my S/A/T/B mpc quests.

I was not in a rush and did not have a timetable..looking back including horn repairs it took almost 2 years to really dial everything. So far my best sound, I'm using Legeres on everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts