Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frankly, I never really thought about cannonball horns over the last 3 years. I tryed a Mad Meg, sent it back, tryed a Big bell black horn, sent it back. But over the last three weeks I've been listening to a couple of local Community College players who play rings around me on school horns, the Big Bell series. One guy gets an old school fat , dark, tone with a Ponzol M2 100 (thats weird, all the M2s I've played were bright) and the other guy gets a marvelous more modern tone out of a Guardala Super King ( I have one from Ebay arriving today). So, out of curiosity I traded horns for an hour with one of the guys in a practice room. I have to say, that Global Big Bell has a darker, fatter tone than my Mk 6 (220000) and for me the keys are in the right places. My left hand has had a hard time adjusting to the 6 from my P mauriet but I do dig the tone. But this Cannonball really moves my tone in the direction of the Ref 36. I'm not gonna jump out and buy one but if I can get to practice longer without pain, I'm interested. I'll have to get a Cball here at the house to really do a good A/B since this is what I'm used to. The good College guy who played my Mk 6 had more projection and did get that "selmer" core but frankly he sounded better on the Cball. Just my 2 cents. My ears are alot better IMO than my playing. Like I said in my first sentence, I haven't thought about Cballs for 3 years. K

·
Registered
278 Posts
Look everything is debateable on which is the better horn, but it just comes down to what you like I have a CB Hotspur tenor and thought it played very well up against a couple of selmers and yamahas I played. What most impressed me most was the keys felt very comfrotable and the action was not heavy but wasnt light either. But what sold me was when I put my Otto Link metal on there it sounded amazing it had the best tone I've ever heard in my life, and the low notes popped out effortlessly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Over the years, I've tried Cannonballs several times. Everytime I played one, I thought the keywork was a little odd. The low Eb/C pinkie cluster always seems like it was in the wrong place. Maybe they've gotten better, but until they fix that I'm not interested. I'm surprised someone actually liked the keywork placement. :D I'm not a fan of Keilwerth keywork either, but the Shadow is at least passable.

I liked the sound of the Mad Meg horns, but the intonation was always a little weird to me. It would probably take a bit to get used to. For me the Selmer's I play seem to be a better fit, sound-wise, intonation-wise and ergonomically. And the price of the Cannonball's just keeps going up and up, so they weren't the bang for the buck they used to be.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I absolutely love the dark, warm, fat, and even FATTER tone I get with my Raven and the FAT neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tastes differ and I can't vouch for a horn I haven't played for at least 6 months but I'd match the guy with the Guardala's tone on that Cball with most recorded pro's I've heard. He's not a monster but for 22 he's gone far. (the sad thing is that he's a microbiology major. He just is talented and has played/practiced for hours for a few years. ) Anyway, I'm not pitching a horn I don't own. I just think that this Global Big Bell was easier to play in the low end, had a fatter high end and lots of character to the tone. I'd need to record it to really feel comfortable buying one. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Keith,

Step away from the horn. I repeat. Step away from the horn. Play the VI until your fingers fall off.

·
Registered
278 Posts
schneidt said:
I'm surprised someone actually liked the keywork placement. :D
The keys just felt right to me.I know a kid who plays a YTS-52 but has to move his fingers a ton when trying to get the low notes while on the other hand I barely move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts