Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. It always sounds great regardless of my physical shape.
2. It always sounds a bit different according to my mood and physical shape - meaning that it adapts to what and how I feel.

What are the two or three things you like best about your favourite mouthpiece?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,285 Posts
Right now, my fav is a Morgan Jazz Florida (MLL) 7.
1. It has an unassailable thick and jazzy tone - and it's rock solid throughout the range of the sax.
2. It has helped stave off my GAS tendencies.

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,832 Posts
1. I designed it
2. It plays better than ANY hard rubber mouthpiece I’ve EVER played in 35 years of buying, selling, and trading mouthpieces!

·
Registered
166 Posts
1. I can just put it on with dry or moisturized reed, no need to warm-up - it works immediately.
2. I feel comfortrable and I just play with pleasure with all the nuances that I can do right from my heart and in accordance with my technical capabilities.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
14,334 Posts
Mines a £29 brass silver plated no:8 from China. Very well made high baffle piece.Plays great and sounds better than my Berg, which is a good one. Very reed friendly with a Lawton style lig. Had about 18 months now. Best piece I've ever owned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
1. I never think about this mpc while playing it.
(It functions integrally.)
2. It was a rescue.

[.093 Brilhart Personaline by Sakshama
any decent 2 screw lig
any decent 2.5 or 3 reed
any decent Bb tenor
(Including my 1951 Buescher 156, Martin Handcraft Imperial, Conn 16M ,and Keilwerth New King; and my pal's 3 ring, double socket King Zephyr)]

·
Registered
156 Posts
On tenor, mines is an old Geoff Lawton 10*BBB (some kind of custom build).

1. It does everything I ask of it, and always with a complex blend of frequencies (dark core with a brighter edge).
2. It’s much easier to play than you’d expect from a 10*

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
(Millennium Link)

1. lucked into a modern STM that didn't need a reface.
2. such an obvious choice, it was a little intimidating.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Mines a £29 brass silver plated no:8 from China. Very well made high baffle piece.Plays great and sounds better than my Berg, which is a good one. Very reed friendly with a Lawton style lig. Had about 18 months now. Best piece I've ever owned.
What voodoo is this???? :p

·
Registered
122 Posts
AM Mouthpieces Luna 7:

As a pilgrim on the mouthpiece crusade, this has been my most recent stop.

1. It molds the snowblower of sound from my S20 into nice, solid blocks from which a musical igloo or similar structure may be built

2. It's purple

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
14,334 Posts
What voodoo is this???? :p
It's true Sean, I couldn't believe how good it is. The piece is made by YunnyHornin in China, I believe it's a big business over there. If you don't like it you can send it back for a refund, or change it for another. Years ago I had another Chinese piece, a Sharkbite for alto which was great also. Maybe I've just been lucky. Check them out on eBay.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Reminds me of that great quote from Tolstoy: "Happy families are all alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

If you ask a player why he likes a mouthpiece, the answers are almost always going to be some variation of: "I like the way it sounds, and I feel comfortable playing it."

Probably get more variety asking about mouthpieces people are unhappy with.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts