Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
"Jonathan Blake Gone but not Forgotten" Jonathan Blake, Ben Street, Mark Turner and Chris Potter. Great album:

If your'e ok with sax and trumpet I can also recommend Mark Turners Lathe of Heaven. Mark Turner, Avishai Cohen, Joe Martin and Marcus Gilmore. One of my favorite albums of the recent years. More "artsy" so don't know if that's what you're looking for but it's a really cool album.

· Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"Jonathan Blake Gone but not Forgotten" Jonathan Blake, Ben Street, Mark Turner and Chris Potter. Great album:

If your'e ok with sax and trumpet I can also recommend Mark Turners Lathe of Heaven. Mark Turner, Avishai Cohen, Joe Martin and Marcus Gilmore. One of my favorite albums of the recent years. More "artsy" so don't know if that's what you're looking for but it's a really cool album.
"Artsy" is no problem :)
Actually, I very much enjoy the mystery that comes out of this music.

· Registered
6 Posts
I would welcome recommendations on music projects to listen to with two saxes, bass and drums, and no harmonic comping instrument (e.g., piano, guitar, vibes, etc.).
Instead of two saxes, it could be one sax and trumpet, or maybe some other combination of two melodic instruments. The important thing is that there are two melodic voices and no harmonic comping instrument.
Thank you in advance.
That's our lineup! When we started we thought we would want a piano or guitar, but after a while we got to like the freedom and possibilities of going chordless.

https://32ndstjazz.com/

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,403 Posts
That's our lineup! When we started we thought we would want a piano or guitar, but after a while we got to like the freedom and possibilities of going chordless.

https://32ndstjazz.com/
I haven't reviewed all your videos. What is your lineup? Sop/alto/flute, tenor, bass, and drums?

5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Miguel Zenon-alto
David Sanchez-tenor
Scott Colley-bass
Antonio Sanchez-drums

Incredible live album!
I am listening to it right now. Oh yeah! Great. Thanks

5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
In that case I highly recommend you to check out Lathe Of Heaven if you haven't. Mark actually talks about mystery when he talks about that album:

This is great! The writing is really intriguing, in an interesting, alluring kind of way.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,403 Posts
We both double. I play sop/alto/tenor/flute, and she plays sop/alto/tenor, so we mix it up. Most often, though, one of us plays alto and the other tenor. Then bass and drums.
Cool. Thank you.

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Max Roach often worked with quartets without piano (mostly with tenor/trumpet/bass/drums).

Here is an example from 1990:

Max Roach, dr, voc
Cecil Bridgewater, tp
Odeon Pope, ts
Tyron Brown, b

Philharmonie, JazzFest Berlin/Germany, 3rd November 1990

The Smoke That Thunders 03:45
Elixir Suite 05:36
Tricotism 03:37
Cherokee 06:45
In A Sentimental Mood 08:40
I Want To Talk About You 05:33
South Africa ******m - Blues March 08:24
It's Time - Mr.Hihat 07:29

5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thank you to all who have contributed so far to this thread. I am learning a lot from you guys.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.