Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was able to get the octave shift lever and fixed the alto. The alto plays well now except that two notes sound the same. Left hand open and LH middle finger. I am able to manipulate the tone somewhat but I am wondering if it is possible that there is a mechanical explanation to the problem. All other notes are correct as seen on the tuner.
Vito (japan) alto, yamaha 5c mp, plastic reed, beginner player.
I went to Paiges Music in Indianapolis (nice place, very businesslike), a kid from the back came out and played my Vito tenor (it sounded GREAT), then played my Linton oboe and pointed out a small improvement needed, but it also sounded great. Then I went into the strings room where they gave me two violin bows to try out. They then sold me a Legere signature tenor reed. It was a fun day.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Questions:
1. Which note does the tuner say you are playing? C or C#?
2. Do you get the same result with and without the octave key?
3. The C covers three additional tone holes than C#. Do you see these 3 holes being covered when you play C?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
So the C/ C# issue wasn’t an issue when the person at the music shop played your horn? Confused.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
I think its either a leak when playing C or key opening too low when playing C#. Upper stack keys on alto probably should open about 7 to 9 mm. If the C side key were involved, you would have a leak from C and lower so I don't think this normally closed pad is at fault. If you have a tuner, tune up on Eb (your C2) and then see where the indicator goes when you play C#2. Try it again on C3 and C#3 (with octave key) and see what happens. What you are looking for is to see if C is sharp or C# is flat. This will tell us where the problem is (hopefully). It is common for the bis key or even all the upper stack keys to be out of adjustment and not open far enough.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
My Ab and G# sound exactly the same too.
OK, just having a little fun with you. :)

It sounds like the C spring is unhooked. Let us know if this turns out to be the issue.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
Hi guys, I was able to get the octave shift lever and fixed the alto.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, what has that got to do with the issue you are posting about?

Left hand open and LH middle finger. I am able to manipulate the tone somewhat but I am wondering if it is possible that there is a mechanical explanation to the problem.
As saxoclese says, probably the spring, but also could be the felt has dropped off the C key.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
As saxoclese says, probably the spring, but also could be the felt has dropped off the C key.
In "techspeak" in the US we call that the A key. Stephen Howard probably calls it something else. :)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
In "techspeak" in the US we call that the A key.
I do as well normally, yes it's the A key. I just said C because in this context it's obvious what I mean - the key that plays the note C when you don't have the B key pressed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it was the spring. Thank you. I did not notice that even though I put on a new pad on the A key today to try to correct the problem. The added comments I made were my attempt to be friendly. Point taken.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts