Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two affordable thomann bassoon gigbags - short review

I transport my bassoon mostly by bike - and with the original wooden case in a trecking backpack it's 12 kg.
So I looked for a kind of gigbag - a rather cheap one since I have too many instruments calling for gear .....

There are three gigbags/cases from the thomann housebrand for under 200€. The propably best and most expensive one ( 198 € bam trecking case style) is currently not available, so I ordered the two others for comparison.

1. https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_lightcase_fagott.htm 89€

2. https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_roehrencase_fagott.htm 99€

These are sold from other companies. The aquae sulis tubular case is (2) and the Arnold Stölzl ultimate series should be more or less the lightcase:

http://woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/bassoon_bassoon_case.html

Here's what I found:

Storing: Both cases are quite similar in the inside - soft black padded areas, where the parts and tubes of the bassoon are stored from above. The tube case has two separated departures with two zippers. There are soft cases for the bocals. The one for the tube case (2) has a zipper, the one for the light case is rather cheap built. The lightcase (1) has more small departures for reeds, pencils etc. - none has room for sheet music. You'll need a soft departure for reed case and other stuff, which is provided with the leightweight but not with the tubecase
Both should do the job on a daily base.

Built quality: The outer material is similar, too. The zippers feel more sturdy on the tube case (2). There's only one handle at the top of the tube case which seems to be solid. The two handles at the lightcase are not very trustworthy.

Transport: Both cases have (identical) rucksack straps. The lightweight case (1) has to handles. The tubecase (2) only has one handle on top and could not easily carried by hand. The lightcase is a bit more comfortable on the back because of its form.

Stiffness of the case/ security for the instrument: This is of course the crucial factor. Again, the material is quite similar. Under the black, waterresistant material is a kind of hardboard with cushion material inside. The tubular form (2) is much more resistant against pressure from outside. The lightcase isn't very sturdy - if one presses from both sides in the upper region of the case, there is a kind of cracking sound, not very encouraging for driving by bike with this case on your back!

So I decided to go for the tubular case model.
For a few euros/dollars ... more, the protec case should be great, too.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've made up my mind: I'll send them both back and go for the protec case instead.

The tubular case is ok, though. I would not choose the thomann lightcase/Stölzl ultimate.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if this question is of any importance for anyone here. However - I got the protec PB 317 bassoon case today. It's in every detail of much better quality than the two thomann-branded gigbags. The wooden frame offers much better protection than the hardboard, the zippers are sturdier etc. The solutions provided for storing music, harness, reeds are much better.
I wasn't absolute shure how to fit the four parts of the bassoon exactly inside the case first. The two long parts wobbeled against each other The trick is to lock the two wings together.
Now everything fits great - I'll keep it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts