Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with fingering. I know that practice is the best solution, but I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to finger the following:

In the Mood - second tenor part, repeating eight notes of g -Bb -f - four times in a row. So far, its got me beat.

Right now, it seems like maybe the best way to finger this would be
xxx ooo,
xoo xoo,
xxx xoo (with octave key).

But I just can't make my fingers work that way. I think it's because I usually use the side Bb key. But using the side key, the jump up to f with the octave key is really sloppy. The other part of the problem is then the quick drop down from upper f to g again, to start the 3-note series again.

Is slow methodical practice the only solution? Any suggestions? I've been playing for 40+ years, and the horn is in good shape. It's my brain that isn't letting the fingers do what they need to.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,735 Posts
That's a place where I prefer to use the Bb bis fingering.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a place where I prefer to use the Bb bis fingering.
Thanks!. Reading your post, the lightbulb went on. I don't use the bis fingering much, and usually only think of it as a way to play Bb when fingering B to Bb. But since the bis key holds down the B key, that is a much more workable solution. I'll try it tonight. I appreciate your input, as always.

By the way, I keep watching this thread http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?164234-Tell-us-about-your-avatar for your posting...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,735 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,917 Posts
Yeah bis for the win here. One and One seems like it would be awfully awkward. Don't get me started on side Bb either hehe

·
Registered
476 Posts
What about the 2nd (3rd) Alto part? I think this is much harder than the second tenor. How do you finger f-a-d 4 times ( as I recall, the 4th tenor is very similar)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts