Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That is fascinating. I've known about Cannonballs for years, and while I've never actually played one they seem to have a good reputation, but is the Gerald Albright model *that* good? Really? Like, worth prison time good?

·
Registered
122 Posts
One thing is almost certain...the value of that model just went up. Prospective buyers will see this story when they google the make and model for years to come. Sax players will do anything to get their hands on one! Must be a great horn.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I hope the sax is recovered. Small music stores like this are very important to supplying and teaching young musicians. In a world where there are few locally owned stores that are part of a community left, it is important for these local music stores to survive.

As for the sax, I am skeptical that horn is the only one of its kind in the DC area (as stated by the owner of the store in the televised news report). L & L Music in Gaithersburg, MD (also the DC area) sells Cannonball and I have seen Gerald Albright series horns for sale there. My guess is that there are other players in the DC area with this horn, although not many. I will keep my eyes out though to see if anyone shows up at a jam session with a Gerald Albright alto.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Did a Cannonball rep steal it twice?
They left out. “ The thief walked past all the overrated and overpriced Selmer saxophones and went directly to to the Cannonball alto sax”.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,013 Posts
Did a Cannonball rep steal it twice?
They left out. “ The thief walked past all the overrated and overpriced Selmer saxophones and went directly to to the Cannonball alto sax”.
Perhaps a stupid thief, which is not so surprising what with the video surveillance and all! Hope dude gets busted!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
550 Posts
Resolution: The stolen sax was left outside an apartment building, so it's been recovered. A student model flute was also taken, but I've heard no news about that. Police have good video of the thief from a surveillance camera. Shop owner has good video exposure on our local NBC Washington, D.C., station.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
$4,400 for a Cannonball alto. Yikes.
He stole the flute and clarinet the second time because we all know you can’t get a real job playing just saxophone...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
$4,400 for a Cannonball alto. Yikes.
I know, right? I'd rather have a new Yamaha 82Z or 875EX for that money, or even a new 62III and a couple mouthpieces...

·
550 Posts
Resolution Update. Then there was the second theft . . .

Recall that there was good surveillance footage of the perpetrator. An employee of the store spotted him exiting the metro. One distinguishing feature that the employee happened to observe was that the thief had the saxophone slung over his shoulder. Apprehension followed. Leaves me wondering if the thief would have any apprehension about returning for a third heist.

·
3,230 Posts
maybe the poor devil's horns were in hock and he had a chance for a paying gig. No one would loan him a horn (maybe doubles were required) so he stole some inst. He didn't want to steal expensive stuff, so he stole the cheap stuff.

Maybe i should write science fiction.:scratch:

·
3,944 Posts
Shop owner has good video exposure on our local NBC Washington, D.C., station.
That’s a good thing ?? Her store got robbed twice even with alarms. By someone with the brains of a potato. That was broadcasting a invitation for trouble.

Maybe i should write science fiction.:scratch:
I’ve got the title. “Alien Doubler From Flat Earth”

I know where this guy can get a cannonball free for life. Complete with chain.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
One thing is almost certain...the value of that model just went up. Prospective buyers will see this story when they google the make and model for years to come. Sax players will do anything to get their hands on one! Must be a great horn.
The real crazy story is how they have this sax valued about 2K higher then it's worth. No wonder someone stole it.
Hmmmm...gosh.....:|....it's almost as IF......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,013 Posts
Sorry if this was posted already, looks like they got the person.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2795fca3343_story.html?utm_term=.0ead75d7406c
Sad thing is if this 55 year old dude is really a player and in need of a horn, all he probably had to do is ask for help. I’ve seen fellow SOTW members sincerely ask for help here and people stepped up to lend or give them horns or gear. But why ask for help when you can just steal it and cost a store owner thousands of dollars they probably can’t afford to lose? Note to thief... have a little respect for yourself and others and guess what, you'll have a better life!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts