Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The neck on my 1922 gold plated c-mel was in terrible shape but I came across another silver plated, though 1924, TT with a really nice neck so I decided to go TT2 (darn, where is that superscript when you need it)
Looks pretty cool and plays like a champ (the neck was fitted and it's a perfect seal)

Musical instrument Saxophone Reed instrument Reed Wind instrument

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,896 Posts
The C-melody I fished out of the dumpster behind a private mental hospital was silver, and had no neck. I would have left it at that, but the now long gone DeVoes Music shop in Lansdale PA happened to have a plain brass neck in their storage. So I played the two-tone low pitch True Tone of and on for many years. As far as I know, its still alive and kicking someplace outside of Baltimore.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The C-melody I fished out of the dumpster behind a private mental hospital was silver, and had no neck. I would have left it at that, but the now long gone DeVoes Music shop in Lansdale PA happened to have a plain brass neck in their storage. So I played the two-tone low pitch True Tone of and on for many years. As far as I know, its still alive and kicking someplace outside of Baltimore.
Do we know anybody in the Baltimore area who plays vintage Buescher? In a marching band? :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Do you usually shop for saxophones in dumpsters behind private mental hospitals? Just wondering If I should go shopping at my local facility🤪
I got a call from a place I used to tech at for an evening shift relief gig. I needed to max money for a planned relocation to San Francisco. A nurse there told me that the day staff had just unloaded a bunch of vintage stuff from the attic in the old manor house into the dumpster, including a saxophone. I was just starting to have regrets about selling my high school horn (a MKVI tenor) to buy a bass and amp for a short lived band. Even with the free neck and friendly ”off the clock” rate I got at DeVoe’s Music, I lost more money than I made for my relief work.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a call from a place I used to tech at for an evening shift relief gig. I needed to max money for a planned relocation to San Francisco. A nurse there told me that the day staff had just unloaded a bunch of vintage stuff from the attic in the old manor house into the dumpster, including a saxophone. I was just starting to have regrets about selling my high school horn (a MKVI tenor) to buy a bass and amp for a short lived band. Even with the free neck and friendly ”off the clock” rate I got at DeVoe’s Music, I lost more money than I made for my relief work.
So, which brand was it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
9,133 Posts
So you we’re having emotional issues over the selling of your sax. An friend / associate nurse who works at a mental hospital gives advice of jumping in a dumpster for a saxophone as a cure / relief ? I don’t think it worked as you were still delusional about making money as a musician 😂

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
So you we’re having emotional issues over the selling of your sax. An friend / associate nurse who works at a mental hospital gives advice of jumping in a dumpster for a saxophone as a cure / relief ? I don’t think it worked as you were still delusional about making money as a musician 😂
More like they were just rapping about some of the old stuff that got tossed, and the horn got my attention. Ended up being the first horn I had played in seven or 8 years. But not all that much. Don’t think I ever got the right mouthpiece for it or something, and I lost interest. It wasn’t until I picked up another MkVI another decade down the road, a soprano, that I jumped back into it in a big way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
9,133 Posts
More like they were just rapping about some of the old stuff that got tossed, and the horn got my attention. Ended up being the first horn I had played in seven or 8 years. But not all that much. Don’t think I ever got the right mouthpiece for it or something, and I lost interest. It wasn’t until I picked up another MkVI another decade down the road, a soprano, that I jumped back into it in a big way.
Interesting part of your saxophone music journey. If horns could talk what would their stories be? This guy rescued me from a dumpster behind a mental hospital. Yeah, after being stuck in a attic for years. Thought I was a goner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts