Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ADMIN EDIT] Post split off to it's own (more relevant) thread

Can anyone please help me, I don't want to start a separate thread for my question.
Wardell Gray had a composition called 'Bright Boy' that reminds me of a very similarly composed melody of a popular standard that I can vaguely sing in my head but I don't remember the title. Melodically and motivically it's overall very close to 'Bright Boy' but is a little simpler and is normally played at a slower tempo.
Can you please suggest what title it could be?

Here is Wardell Gray's 'Bright Boy':

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
Sorry to mention it - I've known it for ages. That's just a list of Jazz standards with some additional info on the most popular oners: analysis, who covered a standard, etc. Can be quite useful for a weekend Jazzer.

By the way, speaking of Jazz standards, can anyone please help me, I don't want to start a separate thread for my question.
Wardell Gray had a composition called 'Bright Boy'
Would probably have been better to start a new thread for a new topic.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would probably have been better to start a new thread for a new topic.
Pete - logically you are right but I didn't feel so because of the minor nature of my question. To me it's more like a subject for quick answer and immediate delition. But that's me.
If you feel the subject of my question deserves a new thread - please go ahead and rearrange it.

By the way, you could probably quickly decypher it for me knowing the scope of your expertise. Does ' Bright Boy' remind you right away of some popular standard from the motivic point of view?
In scat it would be something like (2 repeating bars with the same motive and then an answer in next 2 bars):

| pampa-daaaam | (next bar higher pitch transposition) | pampa-daaam | - answer that goes something like | pampa-dam-pa -para | | para-raaam |

In letter 'notation' the opening motives are more like inverted triads but I can't replicate it on the piano, someting is missing (not so great music memory and ear) so it's just a general feel but someting like this:

| G-C-E_E | | A-D-F_F| and the rhythm is like: | 1/4 - 1/8_1/8+1/2| (meaning the secong eights is tied to the remaining half note of the same pitch).

·
28,883 Posts
Pete - logically you are right but I didn't feel so because of the minor nature of my question. To me it's more like a subject for quick answer and immediate delition.
No, it's a completely different topic and would most likely not be found.

By the way, you could probably quickly decypher it for me knowing the scope of your expertise.
You overestimate my expertise...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's a completely different topic and would most likely not be found.

You overestimate my expertise...
Pete - it's my fault and my bad musical memory.

Oh, ignorant me!
Thanks to "Jazz Standards" site!!!

I quickly went through the list of the most popular ones and found it. I must be far off but it's simply 'Mean to Me'.
What a shame! ...

Anyway, the motives are very close melodically and rhythmically, at least to me.

Here is a Stitt's take on it:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sorry, can’t help with the tune you are thinking about.

The opening notes in tenor pitch are.

Descending.....

B, g#, f#, e
C#, c#, g#,f#, e
C#, a, g#, f#
E, e, c natural, b, a

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean 'Bright Boy'?
Anyway, I didn't think of them as being identical pitch-wise. Just very similar in melodic construction, the central motivic idea and the general feel.
Something like the beginning of Round Midnight vs Harlem Nocturne but the two above sound much more similar to me.

·
28,883 Posts
You mean 'Bright Boy'?
Anyway, I didn't think of them as being identical pitch-wise. Just very similar in melodic construction, the central motivic idea and the general feel.
Wardell Grey starts his solo with what sounds very like a quote of Mean to Me

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Give me the Simple Life?
I'll check it tomorrow, my audio is off for now. Thanks.
I mean I now know for sure that I was looking for 'Mean to Me' but it's interesting to compare to other tunes alike if there more.

Wardell Grey starts his solo with what sounds very like a quote of Mean to Me
It's interesting, Pete. I'll check it tomorrow as well. Does it seem like Wardell really maintain some conscious connection with 'Mean to Me' in his 'Bright Boy'?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hey man I don't know but that Wardell Gray record is such a gas! Thank you! Anyway, the classic recording of Mean to Me is here (see link below) and also the Wardell cut do bear some resemblance to Give Me the Simple Life (link also below). It is a question of the main theme vice the channel.
Anyway, the record is solid, man and thank you for sharing it, and in the end it is probably a hybrid of some changes that Wardell put together.
Mean to Me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wvAjA-ovhs
Simple Life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBoM_ojLNvU

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 15 of 15 Posts