Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my process for writing a song. I've written a few this way but always happy to hear how others approach and write songs. I have used piano in the past but today just wanted to find a hook for a song. Be well. Happy thanksgiving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXaz9yHd8NM

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,441 Posts
Its a great and well-used way of writing songs. A tip from the great Ray Pennington who wrote many songs in Nashville - he always had a little notebook and a pen with him, and whenever he thought of a 'hook', he would write it down. Then he could think about it later and begin to flesh it out. Once he had an outline, he would get with some select musicians and start to make it a song.
If you are thinking instrumentally only, you might consider using your phone to record little snippets of melodic ideas you could get anywhere or any time, by voice or whistling, whatever. I have dreamed some of the most incredible music but never could remember it when I woke up.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Interesting to hear how other people do it. I usually write lyrics (even if it turns out to be an instrumental)and find the progression the words seem to live in, and then the melody/chorus/hook- all the parts come from that.

·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really great advide. Thansk K
Its a great and well-used way of writing songs. A tip from the great Ray Pennington who wrote many songs in Nashville - he always had a little notebook and a pen with him, and whenever he thought of a 'hook', he would write it down. Then he could think about it later and begin to flesh it out. Once he had an outline, he would get with some select musicians and start to make it a song.
If you are thinking instrumentally only, you might consider using your phone to record little snippets of melodic ideas you could get anywhere or any time, by voice or whistling, whatever. I have dreamed some of the most incredible music but never could remember it when I woke up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,025 Posts
I pick up an acoustic and run through lots of chord and strumming structures until something captures my interest. From there I’ll work on the structure for the verses and chorus. I generally come up with the lyrics and bridge once I’ve got a pretty flushed out melody.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,441 Posts
We're really talking about several different things. The 'hook', as far as I know, is the part of a country song that usually becomes the title, and from which the rest of the 'words' are derived, like 'All My Exes Live In Texas' or 'White Socks, Red neck and Blue Ribbon Beer'. I guess an instrumental can have a 'hook' too, especially 'pop' music, like the 'taxi horn' in 'Tajuana Taxi'.

·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instumental hooks. can be the guitar riff at the beginning of last train to clarksville, the beatles day tripper, the beginning or even middle of in the mood, the beginning of baker street, its whatever sticks out to you after hearing the song a few times. Or something from a song you vaguely remember years later, like the beginning of peter gunn. Or is can just be a rhythm like the one going all the way through american woman or the beginning of 25 or 6 to 4. K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts