Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the late 80s, I had a book that might have been called 'Jazz scales for saxophone' or thereabouts. It had pretty hip scale-type etudes over changes, cycles etc.

All I can remember about it was

-Quite thin
-Ring-bound
-I think from the USA
-Greenish
-It came with a good old-fashioned flexidisc of the studies being demonstrated. I remember the player playing the demos sounded great (on alto/tenor with piano)

I know it's a ridiculous long shot, but maybe the flexidisc aspect could jog somebody's memory..

Any ideas?

Jamie O'D

www.youtube.com/jamieforjazz

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Wow......you got me there. At first, I thought you were maybe thinking of Oliver Nelson's "Patterns For Jazz", then you said "greenish" and the flexi-disc. Hmm.....maybe something put out with Saxophone Journal yrs. ago? Sorry I couldn't help out.....

John

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I knew it would be difficult.
I know most Jazz books but I've never seen this one again-I bought it in England around 1987/88. I must have lent it to a student years back and never got it back.

I don't think it was connected with saxophone journal and it wasn't by Jerry Coker, Oliver Nelson, David Baker, Aebersold or anyone famous (I think).

Sorry for the lack of detail-I reckon the key is the flexidisc

Jamie O'D
www.youtube.com/jamieforjazz

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jack Snavely's Basic Technique for All Saxophones, maybe? My copy is missing the cover page, so I don't know if it's green or not (it's my professor's from the '70s or '80s) but this one looks like it could be what you're thinking of.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Technique-Saxophones-Jack-Snavely/dp/B001248NPM

Content-wise, this book has all the major and minor scales in various exercises, plus 7/9/11/13 chords and diminished & augmented chord exercises.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Thinking...sounds 70's- ish and someway the name Harry Medina comes to mind?

I saw something like this, and it was decades ago. But maybe write Aebersold personally and ask him if Harrys book was like you described.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,738 Posts
Thinking...sounds 70's- ish and someway the name Harry Medina comes to mind?

I saw something like this, and it was decades ago. But maybe write Aebersold personally and ask him if Harrys book was like you described.
Harry Miedema had a book called Jazz Styles and Analysis: Alto Sax that consisted of lightly annotated transcriptions of alto sax solos spanning the history of jazz. It was spiral bound but otherwise doesn't fit the description provided above.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Posted this question about 10 years ago, and thanks to a friend I've just found out the name of this book and even found a copy online. It even comes with a demonstration vinyl flex disc. I used to play this a lot when I started out back the eighties.

Solo Improvisation Techniques for the jazz saxes by Dean Fazio and Warren Nunes.

View attachment 265174

1 - 7 of 7 Posts