Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Hope everyone is well. I am very new to this forum, so please forgive the mistakes. Hopefully I am posting in the right thread. I've been playing the tenor sax for about 3 years now. I currently play a Yamaha YTS 62. I'm trying to get a bright buzzy sound like my mentor;s sound. It's very similar to Brecker, but with a key difference. The mids really come out. He plays a selmer SBA tenor. with a moddern Otto link mouthpiece with a step bafel. However, He has played my horn multiple times, and has made it sound almost exactly like his horn. I have been searching and searching for this sound, Trying multiple mouthpieces, and even made my own baffels to no avail. Do you guys think it might be the neck, Because I am thinking of trying the kb sax necks. What I love about his sound is that it's very rich. When he plays quiet it almost produces a sound similar to the vowel sound aw, but when he plays loud it has the signature brecker buzz. like the short A sound. Any advice would be much apriciated. Thanks. p.s. Here is a link to my mentor and I trading 4s. FOrgive my very bad playing. But you'll be able to see what I mean. I'll also send a link to him soloing so you will see what I mean. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfe6gpluqppusql/trading 4s.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z1dn4i1wq40jti/Kanoa's sound.wav?dl=0

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,786 Posts
Hi all. Hope everyone is well. I am very new to this forum, so please forgive the mistakes. Hopefully I am posting in the right thread. I've been playing the tenor sax for about 3 years now. I currently play a Yamaha YTS 62. I'm trying to get a bright buzzy sound like my mentor;s sound. It's very similar to Brecker, but with a key difference. The mids really come out. He plays a selmer SBA tenor. with a moddern Otto link mouthpiece with a step bafel. However, He has played my horn multiple times, and has made it sound almost exactly like his horn. I have been searching and searching for this sound, Trying multiple mouthpieces, and even made my own baffels to no avail. Do you guys think it might be the neck, Because I am thinking of trying the kb sax necks. What I love about his sound is that it's very rich. When he plays quiet it almost produces a sound similar to the vowel sound aw, but when he plays loud it has the signature brecker buzz. like the short A sound. Any advice would be much apriciated. Thanks. p.s. Here is a link to my mentor and I trading 4s. FOrgive my very bad playing. But you'll be able to see what I mean. I'll also send a link to him soloing so you will see what I mean. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfe6gpluqppusql/trading 4s.wav?dl=0
Well, the test is to ask him if you can try his setup. Some guys will allow this and some will not. I would after cleaning it thoroughly and cleaning it after you use it. If you try it and don't get a sound like his then that will settle your search and help you understand that the sound comes from within. If the setup helps, then you have the answer the other way and you can continue the search. I would try to do this before spending hundreds of dollars on mouthpieces and necks in the hopes of finding the sound.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
Hi all. Hope everyone is well. I am very new to this forum, so please forgive the mistakes. Hopefully I am posting in the right thread. I've been playing the tenor sax for about 3 years now. I currently play a Yamaha YTS 62. I'm trying to get a bright buzzy sound like my mentor;s sound. It's very similar to Brecker, but with a key difference. The mids really come out. He plays a Selmer SBA tenor. with a modern Otto link mouthpiece with a step baffle. However, He has played my horn multiple times, and has made it sound almost exactly like his horn.
Welcome to SotW! This is a frequent conversation - trying to find a particular sound. It sounds like you have already experienced first hand - thanks to your instructor - that the key to the sound is the player. The reed/mouthpiece/horn combo definitely matter, but to a lesser degree once you are in the ballpark. What mouthpiece are you using now? Have you heard your instructor play on your mouthpiece (or one similar to it)?

Don't neglect to explore different reed cuts. Some cuts will maintain a consistent tone, while other are more prone to producing a more prominent buzz as dynamics increase.

I am with you on your description of your ideal tone. What you describe is what I have been working on for the last several decades - a continuum of texture from low volume lush to high volume buzz, all the while having a sound that radiates and fills space. I am there - for me - but with a different setup than your mentor's. The bottom line is that you first have to get the sound in your head, then find how to get it from your horn.

I have been searching and searching for this sound, Trying multiple mouthpieces, and even made my own baffles to no avail. Do you guys think it might be the neck, Because I am thinking of trying the kb sax necks. What I love about his sound is that it's very rich. When he plays quiet it almost produces a sound similar to the vowel sound aw, but when he plays loud it has the signature brecker buzz. like the short A sound. Any advice would be much appreciated.
I like your descriptions of the tone - it shows that you are listening with intent. Baffles are not as simple as they may seem. I recall visiting Fred Lamberson 30 or so years ago, and his workbench was covered in mouthpieces with various baffle shapes. Obviously it was a challenge that he was exploring in great depth. After playing his mouthpieces for many years, I came to appreciate his touch regarding baffles and chamber work.

G'luck with your quest,

George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,354 Posts
You sound really good for only having played for 3 years. I think studying with someone who has a sound you want to emulate if obviously the best thing you can be doing right now. Couple more years and you'll be pushing more air through the horn. Maybe even moving up in reed strength. Your sound will change if you just keep putting the time in, listening and copying the players you want to sound like.

There may indeed be a magic mouthpiece. My bet is though you'll be spending several hundred if not thousands of dollars trying to find it. Something like some sort of Theo Wanne, guardala or similar expensive thing. If you want to drop a bunch of cash on that sort of thing more power to you. Do what makes you happy. But you'll still have to practice to make those sound good if you get one.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Your lesson teacher being able to get his sound on your setup is the answer. You can do it because it comes from you.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,786 Posts
From the sound of the recordings. I just wonder if he's playing with more air than you are blowing. To copy his brightness I would look at your embouchure. Many time you can roll the bottom lip out a tad to increase the brightness and response of the reed. Ask your teacher about it........

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I would say to just keep studying with him and stop thinking about trying to sound like him. In time, your sound and technique will develop to the point where you can manipulate the sound the way you want.

Don't take this the wrong way but, adults learning an instrument are generally far too impatient. If you've been playing for about 3 years, you are probably similar in your technical development to my advanced 7th grade students (12 or 13 years old) who study privately. None of them are at a point where they sound like Brecker. That takes time...a lot of time. I was able to start getting the Brecker vibe down more successfully in college after I had been playing and studying privately for about 10 years. I was listening, studying, rehearsing in multiple ensembles and practicing for hours and hours...daily. Hang in there. Do what your teacher tells you to do, practice religiously and then re-post in this thread 5 to 7 years from now and I bet you'll be closer to getting the sound you want.

Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would say to just keep studying with him and stop thinking about trying to sound like him. In time, your sound and technique will develop to the point where you can manipulate the sound the way you want.

Don't take this the wrong way but, adults learning an instrument are generally far too impatient. If you've been playing for about 3 years, you are probably similar in your technical development to my advanced 7th grade students (12 or 13 years old) who study privately. None of them are at a point where they sound like Brecker. That takes time...a lot of time. I was able to start getting the Brecker vibe down more successfully in college after I had been playing and studying privately for about 10 years. I was listening, studying, rehearsing in multiple ensembles and practicing for hours and hours...daily. Hang in there. Do what your teacher tells you to do, practice religiously and then re-post in this thread 5 to 7 years from now and I bet you'll be closer to getting the sound you want.

Good luck!
I don't like how this will sound to the OP... In theory you are correct in the assumption that 3 years development is 3 years development. However.... As you mature you learn about focus, endurance, perseverance, the power of will, the power of positive thinking, the power of love. You develop strength, speed, control ETC ETC.
These are things you have not yet learned when your at a young age, these are things that will directly assist you in developing your skill as a musician.

The OP may be practicing 7 hours a day, with bullet proof focus. Can that be said of an 11 year old? The OP may have developed finger speed via typing 150wpm amongst various other modalities, which will translate to the horn with ease. Can that be said of an 11 year old?

To vague.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't like how this will sound to the OP... In theory you are correct in the assumption that 3 years development is 3 years development. However.... As you mature you learn about focus, endurance, perseverance, the power of will, the power of positive thinking, the power of love. You develop strength, speed, control ETC ETC.
These are things you have not yet learned when your at a young age, these are things that will directly assist you in developing your skill as a musician.

The OP may be practicing 7 hours a day, with bullet proof focus. Can that be said of an 11 year old? The OP may have developed finger speed via typing 150wpm amongst various other modalities, which will translate to the horn with ease. Can that be said of an 11 year old?

To vague.
Actually, research and my experience show, on average, the 7th grader will progress more quickly than a beginner adult. Adults are more hard wired and kids are like sponges.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts

To vague.
Vague? Umm...no. Realistic, yes. You call Atonal "vague", but then you go on to ASSUME the O/P "may do" this, that and the other. I don't care if you're Albert freaking Einstein, you're NOT going to get a "Breckerish" sound out of a saxophone in 3 damn years. I've been playing saxophone about 40 yrs and I'm STILL working on sounding the way I want. Furthermore, I'm in my 29th yr. of teaching saxophone as well and over that time have taught thousands of students from 10 to 70+ yrs old. Trust me.......NOBODY will get a sound like Brecker in 3 yrs. Well, they might think they do, but reality always states otherwise.
I wish the O/P well in his quest and welcome him to the insanity, but (again, to beat this dead horse one more time), he has a LONG (and potentially enjoyable) road ahead of him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,354 Posts
I'm often surprised by the amount of adults that start playing saxophone (after years of playing another instrument) who are shockingly good after only a few years on the horn.

And would agree that an adult is much more likely to cultivate a more Breckerish sound and style of playing after 3 years than most any child. Physiology being the biggest factor. Lung power and the ability to seek out information and obsess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts