Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been trying to learn to play ‘Jass Flute’ in the Burgundy style has kept me quite busy hence me being out of the loop for a while.

I give to you, “The Midnight Camel Ride” on c flute in all its Jon Deere camel manure spreader form.
https://soundcloud.com/duddlydoright/the-midnight-camel-ride

Point of direction of air when playing flute has a lot to do with its sine wave sound properties. I have tried to apply learned applications when playing flute to sax and some it works but most find their way to the manure spreader. I finally gave up in a sense because I copped-out with the use of reverb on my chart. It seemed to make it 'sound' better.
Tech notes: Flute has no name and has shredded pads on the Bb and F#. It may or may not have affected the performance; I just don’t know. Recording mic is a SA-87. I have a C414 but that doesn’t work either. DAC is a cheap o Steinberg because Antelope Audio will not support anything in Windows so my Discrete Four is useless.

All comments within reason are appreciated. I know, " Get better equipment".

DDR> per Ron Burgundy,
“Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.”

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think you should equalize the audio so that the backing track isn't overpowering too much the flute, which happens along the music.

Otherwise, nice playing!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kreacher -- Yes I would EQ if I knew what I was doing. Flute does not 'sit' well in mix. Playing flute was first, composition second and then throw it on SOTW for ideas. If I spend the time mixing it would never get uploaded. I don't have $ to send this off to pros plus the performance just is not worth it (see below).
PlugIns in DAW cause too much drain on computer so doing anything is a problem.

Obrigado kreacher

DDR> "Man's got to know his limitations" Harry Callahan

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Best part of the scene is Ron literally pulling the assembled flute out of his shirt sleeve as he is coyly accepting the invitation to go un stage...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,373 Posts
From what I hear you have lots of fast flute chops. You might get the tone better (that can be done electronically) and then play a few more lyrical lines in the middle of the all fast stuff. I recorded a track fro a singer and they basically cut my solo in half adding spaces here and there and it sounded much better. K

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Well, as far as I'm concerned if you want to play jazz on the flute you should start at Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

I'm not sure that you need go any further, frankly.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So, who's the actual player on the movie soundtrack?
Katisee Buckingham.

Edit: oops. Someone answered and spelled his name correctly, too. I used to go listen to him and a guitarist named AJ Barish (I probably spelled that wrong, too). They were seriously next-level with the way they played together and what they did with tunes. Hyper-creative. I miss things like that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, as far as I'm concerned if you want to play jazz on the flute you should start at Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

I'm not sure that you need go any further, frankly.
Killer Flute player = Rahsaan. Killer Flute player = Yusef Lateef. Killer Flute player = Paul Horn. Killer Flute player = Jerome Richardson and many more.
So...... the vinyl is out there and all one has to do is LISTEN.

Being in LA I was captivated by Arthur Gleghorn, Paul Horn and Bill Green however, Ron Burgundy is in a class by himself.

DDR> Burgundy= 'Jass Flute', 'Jass Flute'!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I hear you have lots of fast flute chops. You might get the tone better (that can be done electronically) and then play a few more lyrical lines in the middle of the all fast stuff. I recorded a track fro a singer and they basically cut my solo in half adding spaces here and there and it sounded much better. K
Well........ I would start with a better DAW, better ADC, better Mic, better pads on flute and so much more.
As far as playing more lyrical lines in the middle; don't want to do it. This Camel thing was recorded by me as a one take see what happens, not an audition for Berkeley. Playing 'correctly' and presenting a taste solo is like me cooking in the kitchen, it ain't gonna happen but I have a good time and appreciate all input.

Keith, you are much further along than I am on flute and music. Thanks for the input.
I like to think I can play sax and I did the flute thing. Next year I'll spend time on clarinet and hope I'll have better hardware. I hope that Will Ferrell plants a movie spot on 'Jass Bass Clarinet" then we can have a discussion about Eric Dolphy.

DDR> Speed Kills. Killer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts