Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a very musically based family, I was given my grandfathers Sax when he passed. I didn't even know he ever played the Sax as all I'd ever seen him play was the Oboe. Apparently he played it while assigned to the Army Band.
Identifying markings. Just under the bell: U.S.Q.M.C.-3 in below that: GRETCH (not Gretsch) American Made- SN: A 34922 L
It is in pretty good shape for its age. Silver plating is worn in contact areas. Does need a good polishing. I am interested in finding some history on the brand as I can only find an approximate age. Possibly from the 20's. Its use in the Military band. Basically, anything you can find concerning it's life. My research hasn't yielded much.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
My money is bet on this:

You have a stencil horn.

That means that the word "Gretch" was printed on the horn as part of a contract to sell horns.

That word has nothing to do with who might have manufactured the horn.

You can look on saxpics (http://www.saxpics.com/) to hunt out similar features for an ID.

Photos posted here on your thread will likely get an expert on board to help you.

You can post photos of the bell of the horn (showing split bell, left bell or right bell keys and the guards)

photos of the left pinky table, which can be a great help

and closeups of the open keys (for possible beveled tone holes), and the octave mechanism

The more photos the better, prolly.

The shape of the engraving that marks the serial number can help, too.

I suppose it is a United States Quarter Master Corps marking ...

"A" stands for alto

"L" stands for low pitch, which is a good thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,220 Posts
Probably a Conn stencil horn given the listing of the serial number, A for alto above it and L for low pitch below it. Does the key guard over the low C tone hole look like a three pronged Mercedes Benz logo? If so, that would pretty much nail it as a Conn stencil.

Serial number ranges are unreliable in dating stencil horns for the most part. So if you showed us pictures of the horn, you'd get a better idea of which Conn model it was stenciled from; stencils usually being based on older models when produced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,189 Posts
Post photos, please.

1) scroll down to Reply window.

2) below Reply window click Advanced.

3) on the next page which comes up, scroll down to Attachments button and click on that.

4) a new window will open and using that window, you can upload photos to this thread.

·
26,220 Posts
I suppose we ought to point out, that such a horn is not likely to have much value; maybe a couple hundred bucks unless it is a unique sort of stencil. Mouthpieces however, from back in the day, might have considerable worth if this is a concern for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
27,086 Posts
That's ridiulous tho....I mean, if I were a 1922 sax, I'd be really offended if some door person or liquor store clerk asked me to show my ID....
LOL

At 74 I have a running joke with some cashiers, to PLEASE card me! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
My GF is 18 years younger than me (looks 40 younger) and I always say "I am not her father".
At the grocery, they run your DL even at my age.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,191 Posts
Some Gretsch saxes were made by Couesnon but those would’ve had the name spelled correctly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,125 Posts
Some Gretsch saxes were made by Couesnon but those would’ve had the name spelled correctly.
Soybean, Good to see you again. Hey, any chance this is part of Holton/ Lyon & Healy/ Courturier era stencils made for Gretsch. OP notes possibly 1920’s and sn 34*** May fit. Fun family heirloom.

jayPdx, Brylcreem....wasn’t that used to deep fry chicken?

Bruce, my wife turned 29 for the 26th time last month she still gets carded and I don’t. Must be the gray hair I have left.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hey Bruce - must be the Brylcreem.

(oh, jeez..I just gave away my age right there...)
B***c****, a little dab'll do ya -
B***c****, the girls'll all pursue ya…

·
26,220 Posts
Yeah, Couesnons can also have Conn-like features, like the Mercedes style low C guard. But on Couesnons, the three prongs are not equally spaced like on Conns. That's why it's always preferred to see pictures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts