Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gentleman selling this saxophone contacts me a couple times a year asking if I'm interested in this alto and also a tenor. In a nice way, I try to explain the he's way over the market value and no High School kid is going to purchase the saxophone. Yet here it is again.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/msg/d/selmer-super-action-80-series/6582617244.html

I wish him luck but a 10 year old Series 2 alto maybe $2,500 on a good day.

Yes the case is nice and the Neck a Bonus - but still it's a Series II.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
825 Posts
I think that some believe that if they leave it out there long enough, they'll get their price, but that's way above value.
I used to spend some time checking out Craig's list when I was in the market.

I know it is possible to fine a deal, but everything I saw
was way overpriced for what I was looking for.

I don't want to waste my time driving to see a horn and hope that I can haggle with the seller
to arrive a good, or at least reasonable price.

Here's a Series II Alto - $5,879.00 New at Sax Forte:

http://saxforte.com/saxophones/available_saxophones/available_saxophones.html#selmeralto

·
4,580 Posts
I don't want to waste my time driving to see a horn and hope that I can haggle with the seller
to arrive a good, or at least reasonable price.
When I've bought from CL, I haggle before I visit... something along the lines of "I only have x amount of dollars, if I come try it and like it, would you accept that amount?" Doesn't waste anyone's time that way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
If the person in question would be in the NL i’d think that he has inverted the amount (not unusual for example when people translate subtitles) and indeed wanted to write 2,500 and wrote 5,200.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the person in question would be in the NL i’d think that he has inverted the amount (not unusual for example when people translate subtitles) and indeed wanted to write 2,500 and wrote 5,200.
He's actually called me about the horn. Not a bad guy, but just out of touch. I explained that I just bought a Series III for less then 1/2 his asking price. Oh Well.

·
Registered
918 Posts
There are, depending upon your area, incredible deals on Craigslist. The member who suggested doing a bit of upfront negotiation offers good advice. And a short drive for an actual in-hand view and try-out is, IMHO, infinitely better than paying for packing, shipping, and insurance, then waiting a week for who-knows-what to arrive.

Tell the guy calling you to get an appraisal and best price purchase guarantee from a shop and stop calling. Block his number; or are you really interested in it?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I wish him luck but a 10 year old Series 2 alto maybe $2,500 on a good day.
Condition is more important than age for a Series II alto. It's not at all uncommon to get more than $2,500 if the sax is mechanically and cosmetically superb. But you can certainly get less as well, for a "player's horn." In any event, $5200 is insane for any used Series II, let alone one in average shape. Even if you deduct the $700 for the silver neck (another wild overestimate of value), you're left with $4500, which remains a crazy price.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Good tip: Always haggle first. So many people have come to me and been like, "Oh I just have $20 less than what we agreed on" That I've made a policy that the next time it happens, too bad, sorry you had to drive, honor the deal we made.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't think Craigslist is the place to sell stuff if you want to get top dollar... and certainly not the place to sell stuff if your wanting over double what something is worth. I don't think there's any helping this situation. If someone is so deluded that they want almost brand new horn money for a used horn that according to them has been played all over the place, there isn't much you can do.

Also it is like with anything too, people are not going to pay full price for upgrades someone has done. I used to have to tell people that all the time when I was a REALTOR. It doesn't matter that you paid $15k for a new pool in your back yard, it might raise the price of your house like $2k. Yes, it might cause people to choose your thing over the next but they aren't going to be paying a huge premium for it.

·
825 Posts
"When I've bought from CL, I haggle before I visit... something along the lines of "I only have x amount of dollars, if I come try it and like it, would you accept that amount?" Doesn't waste anyone's time that way."

"Good tip: Always haggle first."

Yes, that is a good idea. The prices I had seen were so inflated that I didn't want to waste the time and energy, and I looked for a couple of years.

I had a minty Series III that I bought here. Great horn - I remember reading - here - how the II seemed to be preferred over the III (!?)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Also it is like with anything too, people are not going to pay full price for upgrades someone has done. I used to have to tell people that all the time when I was a REALTOR. It doesn't matter that you paid $15k for a new pool in your back yard, it might raise the price of your house like $2k. Yes, it might cause people to choose your thing over the next but they aren't going to be paying a huge premium for it.
That's what happens here when someone tries to sell a horn that's had a massively expensive "uberhaul" or the like. "Oh, you have a used sax with a market value of $3,000, and you just had it overhauled last year? The overhaul cost you $2,000? Congratulations -- you now have a used sax with a market value of $3,100."

Actually, $2,000 seems to be an underestimate. Read this price list and weep: http://saxproshop.com/sax-proshop/price-list/.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I've seen this many times, and I've sometimes tried to pre-negotiate with the sellers, but it never works. For some reason, some people feel like they're going to get 90% of the new price when they're selling used but the item is in "like new" condition. I've sent people what I thought were polite, respectful emails letting them know I'd be interested in their horn if they would accept market value, complete links of sales of similar horns to show that I'm not lying about what they usually sell for, but no avail. Usually they just don't respond but sometimes they write back angry notes in which they accuse me of lowballing. I guess if you think your alto is worth $6200 and somebody emails to say they'd consider buying it for $2500, you're probably not keen on following up.

·
825 Posts
I've seen this many times, and I've sometimes tried to pre-negotiate with the sellers, but it never works. For some reason, some people feel like they're going to get 90% of the new price when they're selling used but the item is in "like new" condition. I've sent people what I thought were polite, respectful emails letting them know I'd be interested in their horn if they would accept market value, complete links of sales of similar horns to show that I'm not lying about what they usually sell for, but no avail. Usually they just don't respond but sometimes they write back angry notes in which they accuse me of lowballing. I guess if you think your alto is worth $6200 and somebody emails to say they'd consider buying it for $2500, you're probably not keen on following up.
Yes - that's it :( Well put M Lucky

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,028 Posts
Good tip: Always haggle first. So many people have come to me and been like, "Oh I just have $20 less than what we agreed on" That I've made a policy that the next time it happens, too bad, sorry you had to drive, honor the deal we made.
On the other hand, don't lead with "what's the least you'll take for it?" - I usually respond with "what's the most you'll pay?" I suggest something like "are you willing to negotiate on the price" instead.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
There are a few over-priced saxophones and mouthpieces that I see constantly re-listed on ebay over and ever for the past 2 years or more. You would think that the the sellers would eventually come to grips with reality.

To some people, I think it's a power issue. The money is really not important.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
The basic concepts of economics seem to elude many people. It ain't rocket science. Selling price is generally dictated by the competing supply of other similar horns, and the level of demand in the market at any particular price. I just went though the same process with a Yami 62 in excellent condition but priced the same as a Selmer SA80 I was looking at that sounded much nicer, and priced WAY more than the outstanding new Barone that I ended up buying. The guy had to (had to) sell before a certain date, yet would not lower his price to where it was competitive. Then again the market value is whatever someone eventually pays, and if he's not in a hurry, good luck to him. If it were me though, I would tell him to stop calling until the price reached whatever I was willing to pay (which in fact is what I did with the Yami seller who kept texting me).

·
38,878 Posts
Despite some macroscopic errors of judgement, like the one that generated this thread, the price one asks is the seller prerogative.

The other side of the medal is that there are infinite amounts of shameless lowballers out there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The other side of the medal is that there are infinite amounts of shameless lowballers out there.
You want $5200? I'll give you $250, pay immediately! What, why you no accepting my offer? Why you no respond? Will you ship to ________ foreign country? Why no respond? (This is so annoyingly common on ebay it seems).

·
38,878 Posts
although not exactly in that form not only on ebay and not necessarily in pidgin :whistle:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Worst low-ballers I’ve met had no trouble with the language; they just had short arms and deep pockets.

Again, to the OP, you’re probably being too nice on the phone. Just block his number.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts