Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Yes, it is a Mark VI pattern. Selmer marked theirs well so it probably is not a Selmer-made soprano. I have a KUSTOM-marked soprano of similar appearance and and I was never able to determine who actually made it. However, research led me to believe my KUSTOM was made by Antigua because Antigua was known to make MKVI-pattern sopranos years ago. However, the flat key-cups on the questioned soprano does not resemble anything I know about.

Yanagisawa also made a MKVI-pattern soprano and they were well-marked. Yanagisawa also made the same saxophone with different brand-names on them like Vito, Whitehall, Dorado 600, and other names that escape me.

Then there were the European-made sopranos with similar keywork - Buffet, etc., but my memory is not good about the little details.

One detail that I saw on the questioned soprano was the diameter of the low C# and low Eb pad cups - they appeared to be much larger than the same key cups on my MKVI's - the key cups on the questioned soprano appeared to be the same size as those on my KUSTOM. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,858 Posts
Those Mark VI copies were very common in the olden days of the Taiwanese industry. In fact now Taishan (China) apparently has taken to copy that model again.

If unbranded and vintage I would say this is an older Taiwanese made soprano.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for your comments. I will report if I get more info or photos about it or indeed if I buy it. Its being sold for $250 in an internet forum. I might give it go

1 - 5 of 5 Posts