Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I know that listening to other players can really help when it comes to learning new things. Right now my skills are at an impass and at a wall. I do a lot of playing to premade tracks and would like to use some skills to help lively up the song. The stuff I already do I am getting tired of thirds up and down, going up and down the scale, and using altissimo register. I am looking for more to be able to create new melodies at any time with different patterns.

When I first started listening to other players, I would listen to mainly kirk whalum and kenny g, but also slightly listened to gerald albright. Now I am trying to really listen to gerald albright, because I like his technical skills and his altissimo register. I know that when it comes to technical skills I should listen to more guys like maceo parker, charlie parker. So when listening to these new guys that I mentioned yardbird, maceo parker and albright, what should I listening out for and how to incorporate things into my playing. I also have one jamey aebersold book, volume one to jazz and improve.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'd definitely recommend checking out the lessons on Matt Otto's website. I find the way Matt presents the ideas totally inspires me to practice.

www.mattotto.org

You can also listen to several of his albums there, which gives you a chance to listen to hear how the way he practices informs his playing.

Check it out! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
, I would listen to mainly kirk whalum and kenny g, but also slightly listened to gerald albright. Now I am trying to really listen to gerald albright, because I like his technical skills and his altissimo register.
You should listen to all sax players, all instruments, listen to pop music, classical, and experience playing them all. Think Gerald Albright can't play classical music?

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Learn how to work yourself off of the plateau, because if you're serious, you're going to hit this again, and again, and again, and again. I'm there right now. Pretty sure the only way out is stubborn determination and a hell of a lot of work. As they say, if this were easy, everyone would be doing it....

Like the other cats said, listen to everyone. Pick players you've never heard of and listen to them. Play along with the recording and learn some of their licks. Transpose them into different keys, then learn new ones. Learn as many jazz heads from memory as you can. Listen and learn classical motifs. ALL of this will help your solos become more varied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts