Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I try to do comparisons of the several different mouthpieces I own. I just can't find the one that is my favorite, right now I am back on my old Yanagisawa metal 7 for my alto. I have a Lebayle 8* Studio, Dukoff Metal 7, Meyer Metal 8j, Beechler M7S Diamond Inlay, and a Beechler Bellite 7, I try to let someone listen to them to hear for any changes. From what I understand I pretty much sound exactly the same on all of them, maybe one mouthpiece might sound crisper than the other. It won't sound edgier, or so which is the sound I am looking for. I just don't know what exactly to do to drastically change my sound. Looking for some advice.

P.S. One of my biggest complaints with my Dukoff and Lebayle mouthpieces, is that they tend to squeak a lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,495 Posts
Have you explored different reeds? What are you using?

Squeaking? Lacking edge? That may be you (embouchure, air stream, support, etc.).

·
Registered
252 Posts
I searched, thought I found it, wasn't happy, searched, thought I found it, wasn't happy, searched and I think I found it. I go back to other pieces randomly but always return to my favorite. And the best part is since I've been on the same piece 95% of the time, when I go to other pieces, I still sound like ME. Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
775 Posts
Hi Iceman :
I started doing mouthpiece-only exercises with an Otto link that I carry in my car, as I have to drive 30 kms to work and 40 kms to come back home. But I play with another mouthpiece, so I decided to make those exercises with that mouthpiece ( name in reserve), because if that mouthpiece is the one I am playing , the exercises could be more beneficial with it. but, surprise...¡¡¡¡ I started, and I got only SQEAKS...¡¡ I took the reed out and placed in the Otto Link, and perfect sound, so it was not the reed..I put the reed that I was using on the Otto link and....SQUEAKS again... so IT IS THE MOUTHPIECE....
I would like to know what part of the mouthpiece is responsible for the squeaks .....
My recommendation to all looking for a mouthpiece : try it without the sax... Mouthpiece-only and discover if the sound is appropiated to you...
My 2 cents..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Quality control on Dukoffs is notoriously lax. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a light touch-up of the facing cured any squeaking.

That said, maybe one of the reasons all your mouthpieces sound about the same is that they're all pretty much the same design. Try a hard rubber Meyer or Link or an old Brilhart or a Selmer Soloist if you want to experience something a bit more different.

It's not clear whether you were complaining about inability to get enough edge and projection. If that's the case, and you are playing that collection of grass-cutting paint-peeling mouthpieces, I would suggest the problem doesn't reside in the equipment.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
A Meyer HR will sound radically different from the pieces that you have. My tenor Dukoff squeaked too. I could mitigate that by soaking my reed totally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts