Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per the subject, i have a series II EX90. I am trying to determine the value. It was purchased in 2001 and is in like new condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Given the current market conditions, I'd venture a wild guess at about $800-1200. The asking prices I've seen are really all over the place. From what I've heard (my experience is only with the SX line), the series II horns were pretty decent players.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Morry hit it right on! I'd say $1000. I'd be hard pressed to get $1500 for my or my daughter's SX-90. Keilwerths don't hold their value as well as a Selmer or even a yamaha or a yanagisawa for that matter.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Which is sad because I find them to be among the very best playing horns out there. Most people that do own them and play on them are in no hurry to let them go. I think that is part of the reason why one doesn't find too many good used ones floating around out there

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
I've seen like new SX90 tenors go for $1800, so you have to back down to the intermediate price range from there. The series II horns are said to be nicer horns than the series III, so you have to credit them for that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It depends on where you sell it and what condition it is in. From what I understand, there is more EX line in the US (at least for now) and I do believe the series II horns are nicer than series III. It should say Made in Germany, series III says Made in Europe. I believe Keilwerth produced the series II, but Amati built the III elsewhere. Those horns have better metal than the Yamaha intermediate horns, so if it's in great playing and great looking condition you might be in luck. It's just a matter of finding the intermediate buyers market, which may be harder to find because they aren't looking for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts