Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call today to play a blues/classic rock gig tomorrow night. I've been playing jazz gigs only for the past couple of years, and I decided to dig out my RPC 115B to see if it would cut a little more than my Tenney link.

Holy CRAP!!! This thing is LOUD. Scared me, the wife, and both dogs.

(the cat didn't even wake up, though).

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Well if you want the cat to wake up .... dig out that OTHER RPC I know you got!!

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,785 Posts
hakukani, just for kicks try a Rico plasticover # 2 1/2 or # 3 "baritone sax reed" on your RPC tenor m/p. I really like the RPC. Ron does an excellent job.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
These are astonishingly good mouthpieces, there ar plenty of loud ones out there, but loud with a good tone too? Ron knows that secret.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I played a 115B for a few months but did not like the size of the piece.I was expecting more from it but it never came.I never thought it was that loud,theres plenty more i had that were louder.I agree it has a nice sound but i like LOUD and even more LOUD.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
I played a 115B for a few months but did not like the size of the piece.I was expecting more from it but it never came.I never thought it was that loud,theres plenty more i had that were louder.I agree it has a nice sound but i like LOUD and even more LOUD.
You need to get a 120B! There's a monster mpc. Not just loud, but BIG sound.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grumps measured mine at .125.

As graysax mentions, I have a .145B, but it takes too much energy for a 3 hour gig. But it has a HUGE sound.

·
2,785 Posts
A 125 is also an excellent size for volume. As some of you know it is best to call Ron and discuss what style(s) you are playing and the general tone that you are looking for and he will work with you. That is what he prefers. His designs are based upon your conversations with him.

I was under the impession that he had several tip openings and baffles to offer and that was it. However, after telling him that I was looking for a tenor piece for use with a baritone reed he made a design for that purpose which has turned out to be the best tenor m/p I have played to date. I also use his bari m/p which is excellent.

A Winslow or Saxxas lig also works real good on his tenor m/p.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Is it just my experiences lately or is louder and louder becoming the norm for saxophone playing even in a jazz situation? I mean I like full and robust but does it always have to be loud now? I heard a player the other day with a dark kind of mellow sound - it sounded beautiful, it was a relief to listen to.

·
2,785 Posts
bstrom, it probably depends on the style of music and attitude at the time of performance.

I use a Hite alto m/p for concert music. No need for volume because I want to blend with the concert band section. I also have a monthly small room 2 piece gig. I use a stand mic for vocal backup and never play the sax directly into the mic. No need for volume.

However, for the rock/party music gigs in a medium to large room I like the ability to have the volume "when needed" on solos on certain songs to reflect attitude and excitement for the dancers. However, it is not a constant. Just when needed.

The "more me" volume thing for sax has been around for a few years now. Some live bands have increased their stage volume over the years and left the sax behind. The electric instruments can turn a knob. We usually have no knob to turn so we have to go to the board and push the slider up or hope that the sound person will keep us in the mix. Some sax players will carry a keyboard amp and use it as a monitor and line it into the PA board to make sure they can hear during the gig.

And I agree with you. I also like to hear dark and mellow. There is a time and place for all styles.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope. I only bring the RPC out for rock gigs. I can get a big full sound, that brightens as I get louder on my link, but to cut through guitars on tenor I need more of the 7,9, and 11th harmonics when playing softer. Also, I use a clipon mic, so I can't (or don't need to) back off the mic when playing background vs. solo.

FWIW, the gig went well. It was sort of relaxing to play the simpler stuff, and check out the babes dancing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
Is it just my experiences lately or is louder and louder becoming the norm for saxophone playing even in a jazz situation?
It was even worse back in the 1980s. With today's PA systems and mics that suppress feedback, there isn't as much of a call for extreme volume, but there are always those times when no mic is available for the poor sax player.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
On rock gigs I use a Guardala Crescent with a softer than I care to usually play reed. It is loud enough to make the guitar player wear earplugs.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Grumps measured mine at .125. .
Ok, then it's not really a .115. I'm pretty sure my "120" could be closer to a 125. In any case, it's a noticeably bigger tip (when you play it, not so much visually) than my 115.

Ron is definitely partial to larger tips and he designs his mpcs to work well with a large tip. As John Laughter points out, the way to get an RPC (other than buying one used) is to call Ron and tell him what you're looking for. He's very good at designing something close to what you want.

I have a drawerfull of really loud high baffle mpcs (that I never use anymore). The RPC is not simply another loud mpc. It has depth and tone quality as well, at least in my experience with three of them, with different baffles and tip sizes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I called Ron once. Man, can that dude converse. He is an alpha telephone personality.

We rambled a bit when I called him...Ultimately, he volunteered that it's all about your relationship to sky-buddy. FWIW!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On rock gigs I use a Guardala Crescent with a softer than I care to usually play reed. It is loud enough to make the guitar player wear earplugs.
I've steered away from guardala pieces, because I perceive a negative Karmic load.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I don't like to pic my gear based on volume. While it does come in handy in a lot of pop/rock settings I have no interest in trying to compete with guitars with my lungs. Guys who play to loud on stage lack very basic musical skills in my book and I have no problem telling them that. It just makes the house sound muddy. Keep the stage volume down and use the PA. That is what it is for after all. The whole band will sound much better all around with this approach.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, believe me, this band's stage volume was low enough the even I didn't need earplugs. The venue has an open roof, and the law says it has to be down to about 65 dB SPL at the property line, which means that no one plays with a mesa or a marshall half stack. I don't play loud gigs anymore. When I say 'loud', I don't mean SPL. I mean presence in the 4-6kHz range to cut through the mix.

What's really a kick is that my jazz mouthpiece (STM) is metal, and my rock mouthpiece is hr.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't like to pic my gear based on volume. While it does come in handy in a lot of pop/rock settings I have no interest in trying to compete with guitars with my lungs. Guys who play to loud on stage lack very basic musical skills in my book and I have no problem telling them that. It just makes the house sound muddy. Keep the stage volume down and use the PA. That is what it is for after all. The whole band will sound much better all around with this approach.
I had the pleasure of hearing Sil Austin play in the early 90's in Atlanta, small club, no PA, he played loud and did it with plenty of musical skills...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts