Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a beginning jazz saxophonist (going into my junior year of High School), and am in the market for a tenor mouthpiece. The one I'm playing on now is a stock Yamaha (4C?) and is okay, but one it belongs to the school, not me, and two it has a rather large chip out of the corner of the tip, which cannot be a good thing...

I understand that it is best to try out mouthpieces before buying them, and this is where I come to you. I've heard of a thing some people do where they order 4 or 5 mouthpieces from a website and send back the ones they don't like after playing them all.

How is this done? Which sites are okay to use? Do businesses dislike it when we do this? Does it cost extra?

Also, I'm not quite sure on my choice of pieces. I think I want to try the Vandoren Java, but what facing? What about the V16? Are the new Links worth a shot? Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep it below $150 or so if possible.

I know it's not good to get caught up in the whole mouthpiece scene too much, but I am in need of one and want to make a good decision. Thanks :)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,061 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
V16 T7 would be a good facing. Also try Brilhart ebolin 5, they are good mouthpieces for a better price. New links may be cheaper at first, but you have a high chance of getting one that is harder to play than it should be, so I'd suggest spending the 40 extra dollars and get the V16. It's the only piece I play and is suprisingly versitile.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd suggest going to your local music store. not only will it be easier then ordering mouthpieces and having wait for them, but the employees could give you some helpful advice as well. Vandoren mouthpieces are great. Jody Jazz HR is apparently very good for the price, but I haven't played one on tenor so I really shouldn't be talking...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
You didn't say where you lived but I'll assume it is in the U.S. Yes, you can order some mouthpieces from WW&BW (is it four?). But if there is a well-stocked music store within a reasonable distance from your home, you should go there and try the mouthpieces they have in the store. Be prepared to use several different reeds, too, because just as one mouthpiece doesn't suit all of us, one reed won't work for a true test of a mouthpiece. DAVE

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd suggest going to your local music store.
I thought about trying the store, but the nearest good music store doesn't keep many mouthpieces in stock, they tend to order when needed. Also, I don't think there are any jazz saxophonists who work there...
I'll look at the Jody Jazz though

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,147 Posts
Give a Rico Metalite a shot in about a M5 facing. They are on teh internet for under $30 and play VERY well. Mine has replaced an Otto Link I had that I sold for over $500.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,359 Posts
You really don't need a jazz saxophonist to help you. Any of the employees can bring you what they have in stock.
If you need a second set of ears while you test play the mouthpieces take a sax playing friend or your teacher.
You are the one who will be making the final decision, so really they are there only to give a second opinion.
Hopefully your local shop will have something that will do what you need.
Best of luck in your search. Trying pieces can be a lot of fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts